AuthorTopic: [WIP] Boss monster  (Read 3835 times)

Offline skittles.loli

• View Profile

[WIP] Boss monster

on: August 18, 2009, 04:00:43 am
I figured I've finally hit a point in my project where I really could use some advice, so I'm coming to you guys for the first time.
Long story short, I'm making a video game with some friends, I got the monsters. The animations are very short, not intended to look super perfect, not to mention our due date is in about 6 weeks.

I need some help with the boss.

Here he is.
I'm stuck on the outline (I know, so soon to be stuck).
I'm wanting his fingers to have a long sort of pointy look, but I just can't figure them out, I'm horrid at hands. I'm sure there's something else wrong here, but I'm kind of working from the middle out, hence the messiness on the top and bottom. The arms might even clash a bit with his stomach, but I tried to find a sort of middle ground between long and strange and thick. The "shoulder pads" are meant to be like knots to help make animation easier (not sure if it will).
I'm just at a wall right now, the solution is probably staring at me in the face but I'm just not seeing it.

I know the rules said I need to put out an effort but I'm super new to this whole style and have had tons of other resources to help me thus far... I haven't found anything so far to help me with this guy, so I'm sorry if this isn't much to go on. :(

Anyway, you might be wondering "why is he so small if hes a boss?" Well hes going to be inflated by 6 times this size, so every pixel would be more like a 6x6 square block brush or something.
This is because we wanted the monsters to look very blocky and simplistic, like inflated nintendo sprites or something (its specific to the story of the game).

Sorry, I'm not sure what all I"m supposed to explain in my first post, I think I covered everything.
Thanks for you time! :D

Offline skittles.loli

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Boss monster

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:52:42 pm

I worked on the hands a bit, not sure if it looks right, maybe a bit better than before.
I think I'm only going to go with 3 fingers and a thumb, we'll see.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:25 pm
I like this design--really "characterful".

The arms look a little crooked, especially the right one (away from view).

I can't wait to see this one colored!  :D

Offline skittles.loli

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:40:31 pm
Yeah the arm position is a little off, but that's kind of the basic appearance I want it to take.
I'm not sure how to fix it, I should probably work on that first since the hands are giving me so much trouble..
I'll have to try and work on it tonight.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:26:49 am
hi
just want to say that i love this thing..  but right now it looks almost like a kid (school bully, like) with an angry tree face for a body... im not very good at it myself, but have you ever studied some anatomy? that was not meant to sound like an insult.. but i dont know how to word it without it sounding like one haha, sorry. although you are doing a tree monster that doesnt seem to relate to human anatomy whatsoever, studying and brushing up on anatomy skills WILL rub off on anything human like you make, whether consciously or not. i went digging through my history to find this: http://www.3d.sk/  great idea for a website... has TONS of human refs and interesting pictures.. you can search individual body parts, too, which is helpful in this case as you would like to improve on your hands...
for more immediate things, your lineart is a bit messy... cleaning up the sketchiness can make lineart look lots better and also help show you what you need to improve on.. and dont be afraid to butcher it up too! if you have to chop up the leg and move it around (just an example.. though the legs could use work) then do it! also, the head seems cramped up in there.. give yourself some more canvas space to work with, as that will help the branches from looking a bit squished up. now hands.. your right (his right, i mean) is golden.. but the other looks awkward. ill do a few google searches for you..

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=witch%20hands&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi - 'witch hands' results in google images
though these are a bit feminine i think they are a good kind of hand to base off of, and if it isnt exactly what youre looking for they can definitely be adapted for a more woody look.. also
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&q=hands&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18 - 'hands' in google images
http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=skeleton%20hands&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi - 'skeleton hands' in google images (this can help bigtime also with a more pointed hand look)
hope this helps!!! forgive the messiness of this post.. its 2:30 AM over here!