AuthorTopic: [WIP] Town (isometric)  (Read 31798 times)

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

[WIP] Town (isometric)

on: August 19, 2009, 06:15:05 pm
This one has been going on for more than a year. I've only been able to do this on and off, so you can see why I only have two blocks. The plan is to complete multiple blocks and piece them together into a larger scene, so I've barely scratched the surface.

C&C on these images, primarily on colours and detailing, are needed. Clearly there is also banding in places.

Associated thread: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6813
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:32:15 pm by The Mozack »

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: [WIP] Townscape

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:52:28 am
i know you're going for a stylish look, but what i see is
the walls are too light *comparing to the red roofs*
maybe try to lighten the roofs,
or give the walls brownish tune

generally, those buildings are awesome.
Be Like no other

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:45:48 pm
You're actually doing this in pixels! What an undertaking.

The second house looks a bit weird since the two sides don't seem symmetrical - but that's all in order?

Somehow it still looks somewhat skewed, but fixing it seems hellish so I dunno! : D

I like your way of giving the houses patina and texture with low-contrast colours, it really does look nice.

Right now I feel the houses might be lacking in shading? I like the low contrast in the texture upon the buildings, but maybe some more contrast between light and shadow?

Also I do agree about the contrast issue between houses and roofs - on the completely red roofs I get the feeling that they're not actually illuminated by the sun. Contrary to colour-saving tradition I'd say add a brighter colour : D for the parts of roof that are turned towards the sun.

Otherwise tremendous! Good luck on this! (:
' _ '

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:19:51 pm
The second house looks a bit weird since the two sides don't seem symmetrical - but that's all in order?

Somehow it still looks somewhat skewed, but fixing it seems hellish so I dunno! : D

These semi-detach buildings are built in front of a curved roadside, thus appearing to have a wedged base. Given it was first constructed using the line tool and measured, it's probably symmetrical, although it's hard to say if it's properly aligned to an isometric projection. It's the same deal with the market (to the right of these buildings).

i know you're going for a stylish look, but what i see is
the walls are too light *comparing to the red roofs*
maybe try to lighten the roofs,
or give the walls brownish tune

generally, those buildings are awesome.

It might be necessary to explain a bit on the construction of these buildings. The walls are predominantly whitewashed plaster (no modern paint), virtually appearing blinding against intense sunlight (at least that's what the old photos indicate, and that doesn't take into account moss and large amounts of black, accumulated dirt). The roofs are assumed to be made from clay/terra cotta, giving it a redish/brownish tone. If the walls have elements of unpainted wood or bricks (which use darker tones), the contrast shouldn't be as prevalent.

The best thing that can be done for now is lowering the brightness value of the white down by about 20 from a maximum of 240 and increasing the saturation to match the colour with the darker grays in the ramp. But if I go too low, it won't look like it's whitewashed anymore. The saturation of the roof colour can be lowered some more, but that brings us to the next issue...

Also I do agree about the contrast issue between houses and roofs - on the completely red roofs I get the feeling that they're not actually illuminated by the sun. Contrary to colour-saving tradition I'd say add a brighter colour : D for the parts of roof that are turned towards the sun.

As in using colour(s) with increased saturation?

Right now I feel the houses might be lacking in shading? I like the low contrast in the texture upon the buildings, but maybe some more contrast between light and shadow?

Since you brought up a needlessness to be too adherent to colour count, it's a good idea. A gray shade or two can be added to widen available options.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:41:16 pm by The Mozack »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 02:29:22 pm
Tweaks. Added two colours in the process for better detailing: One brown (darkest), and one gray (third darkest).

Still want some comments and clarity on the colours of the roof.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Town

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:00:37 pm
Finally joined the two blocks. A few details were blocked off, but it's no biggie.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 05:59:27 pm
Corrections made on shadows based on the height of terrain. Other tweaks.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:33:43 pm by The Mozack »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:25 pm

Detailing on the edges of blocks. Some adjustments on road curvature to the right.

Any comments on the roof? This has to be resolved ASAP so I can move on getting started on the next block.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 09:11:28 am

Detailed the roofs of the first block anyway. Screw the old look.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 10:05:46 am
I just want to say this is a really ambitious endeavor!

The roofs look fine, I think with the purely red bricks could use an extra, more-saturated color.

I agree with you about the house in the mid-left, it doesn't seem symmetrical, but it doesn't read right to me in comparison to the others; it's a bit out of perspective. It looks excellent on its own though, and I can't imagine fixing it after all you've already done, so... yeah.  :P

Excellent work, seriously, and from the first post you've done a lot of research in architecture for this! I dunno whether to commend your skill and patience, or wish I had half as much freetime. xD