AuthorTopic: [WIP] Giant Spider  (Read 6353 times)

Offline samw3

• View Profile

[WIP] Giant Spider

on: August 19, 2009, 02:43:39 am
Here's my next baddie, a giant spider.  Just a sketch at first.  Does it read well?  Any recommendations on pose?  C+C welcome  Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:13:51 am by samw3 »
Sam Washburn

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Re: Giant Spider

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:12:11 am
I don't see anything wrong with it at all, but I have a horrible eye for looking for flaws looking really good (I love your work btw)
Spiders have little hairs all over there bodies maybe add those? might look off though just a suggestion though  :crazy:

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Giant Spider

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:47:25 am
I'd say there isn't enough contrast between th black and the blue.

Granted this looks like an early version of it so i might be speaking presumptuously.

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:59:16 am
Thanks Dyble.  I might attempt hairs.  Corsair changed the contrast a bit.

C+C welcome.  How does it look so far?

EDIT: I just showed it to a friend and he thinks the head is a bit smooshed.  he says it looks too orthogonal.  I suck at foreshortening.  Can anyone help me?  My eye keeps being drawn to the second leg on the right.. is that it?  *sigh*

EDIT: More changes.. does this look any better? less like an almond with eyes :}

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:24:16 am by samw3 »
Sam Washburn

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:31:22 pm

Errr o _ o

I hope this helps somewhat. I've got a bad pixel day here. But I really think the shading suffers. From some kind of 2d flatness, I guess. Anyways I tried to remedy that.

I don't really understand the eyes, so they might look a bit weird.

You've got something going on where you shade edges with small bands of lighter colours - don't do that, it looks broken, really.

Anyhows, good luck with it all O:
' _ '

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:19:58 pm
one thing that looks odd is that when the legs cluster at the body on the left (our left), it looks like part of the body but then it abruptly ends. I would either fill in the area between the head and the leg or make the bases of the legs more defined.

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:53:44 am
Hehe the eyes kinda make him look cute :hehe: I think you should change this if its going to be a baddy in your game

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:58:01 pm
I just wanted to point out that your spider comes across as more of a spider-ant hybrid.

The fangs of the spider appear to be the mandibles of an ant. I believe this to largely be due to the shear size of the fangs. I suppose a large factor in this is also the fact that the chelicerae are obscured behind the fangs. Look here for an example: http://encarta.msn.com/media_461517683_761566464_-1_1/spider_fangs.html.

Besides that I feel that you've taken the an odd approach to giving it six simple eyes. That is, you've given it eye cavities such as you would find on a lot of mammals. Not only that but it's eyes seem to be compound or apposition eyes. To make it look more like a spider you may consider studying their eyes: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=spider+eyes+close+up&btnG=Search+images. It seems that mostly their eyes bulge out directly from the rest of their 'head' and are separate entities.

Another thing I'm noticing is that you put ant legs on it. Ants have lumpy tarsi whereas spiders commonly have pointed tarsi as shown here: http://insects.tamu.edu/ffa/senior/structure.html

I suppose the idea behind my post is that you should spend a little time researching before you begin work on animals whose concepts are taken from the real world. At the very least a reference would serve well. If you want it to look like a spider, the advice is there, if not, there's nothing wrong with a giant spider-ant in a fantasy realm.  ;D

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 11:49:08 pm
in addition to what vermolius has pointed out, the legs seem to be emerging at regular intervals along the length of the spider, whereas they should all originate around the same spot.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:09 am
The perspective looks way off. If you follow the legs from closest to back and then do the same for the head and body, it looks like they're been drawn on separate horizon lines...sorta. I dunno, it sorta looks right and wrong at the same time. Probably what Cure said about the legs would help.
Also reminds me more of an ant than a spider, especially the abdominal part.

Also wanted to point out your avatar looks completely like a color reduction (pixel - cheating) than pixel art, if you care about that, if not, ignore previous statement.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:09:59 am by Draco9898 »