AuthorTopic: [wip] Project Newton Game Sprites  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

[wip] Project Newton Game Sprites

on: August 18, 2009, 11:10:49 pm
Recently I started to continue to work on some projects I started eons. Back in those days the hero of my project used to look like this:
But after trying to animate that little bastard I realized something very, very important: I cannot animated SD Sprites if my life would depend on it. So I changed the little bugger to a more human like approach, and change his gender during this process.

I am not a 100% sure if there is a better way to handle the hat and the shadow on the face. C&C would be most appreciated.

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Project Newton Game Sprites

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:51:07 am
Yeah, the shadow is fine in my opinion. Instead I think you should work on readability. It might just be me, but I can't tell what's going on from the waist up. I'm still working on my understanding of anatomy so I won't say anything specific, but her arm also looks a bit...wrong, and the pose seems painfully unnatural. Oh, and where is her other arm? I just realized it doesn't exist.

The readability issues might have something to do with the one-colored jumpsuit. I recommend throwing a vest, or something on her. Or something.

That was my first post in like two years. :yell:

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:36:15 am
I disagree with the comment about the bodysuit, I think it looks fine being all one color. However, Shoba's point about the unnatural pose is dead on.

Things to consider:
-Fix her left arm and leg
-Give her a right arm
-Maybe curve the line on her thighs to her leg a bit more? Right now it's distractingly straight.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:48:02 pm
Hmm... you're both right about the pose. It really looked kind of odd. Could have something to do with the fact that I used another sprite as a base, from a character which had high heels (but since that sprite was created by me years ago I suppose that's all right :3).

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:33:25 pm
That stance still is coming off rather awkward. It looks as if she needs to pee and has been holding it for a while.

Her left leg is very straight, yet her foot is turned directly towards the viewer. I tried to mimic this pose, feet and all, and I was not only uncomfortable, I almost fell down.

I actually think the first pose was a little less awkward, as her whole body seemed to be nearly facing us. (Though she still looked like she had to find a bathroom)

Whenever I am not sure about a pose, I try to find a reference, or I try to duplicate the pose myself. It helps to understand where the weight is being displaced and whether it just looks awkward, or actually is awkward.

Keep at it!  :D
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
http://snowsoft.wordpress.com/

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:05 pm

Yeah, forget you saw this edit...I already said I had no idea what I was talking about... :(

Why are you so fixated on twisting her knees so far in they should be breaking? I don't understand it.

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:35:13 pm
Well, at least I accomplished what I wanted, to create a pose which looks nothing like a normal standing pose. But it was not my plan to make her look to much "pissed off". I tried to give her foots a more parallel look.
The Left Version version is pretty much the same as above with different legs, the right one is a little bit more laid back.

@Luminous_Reaver:
Maybe I'm a Sadist. Nah, I just wanted to get away a little bit from a typical Standing Pose.