AuthorTopic: Level Dump  (Read 4225 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Level Dump

on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:12 pm
Newest Stuff

Crap

Edit Based

Practice

Something else

Hello there!
I'm back, and I think I have a slight problem this time. I was looking for a new style to attempt so I went sprite hunting. I saw some that looked similar to mine and decided to check them out. After finding a kung fu edit, I tried to shade it. It looked okay to me so I thought I'd apply it to my sprite. I also tried to make my sprite stand similiar to the other one but it came off lookng like an edit. So I scrapped that and redid the legs. Worried, I check the outlines. There are so many area alike that I may have subconsciously edited the sprite. In the below picture, I have some text pointing out my conerns. I also include some of what I've been working on. There are various problems to the cyborg that I have yet to address. And the red submarine is my games level two boss. Which, I just realised, has some metal shading problems on the fin. I'm going to be working piece by piece on that one, and not trying to work on it as a whole. On the first boss, I merely increased the contrast value a bit more. The second image is a mockup of a "halloween" game I'm considering. That is still wip. I posted that somewhere else and am trying to see if you guys say the same things. I also started a new thread because the other one was cluttered and had dropped too low.

So, CnC?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:46:41 am by xhunterko »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: Subconscious Edit? Plus other works

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:33 am
Hi,

General note: the small things you made are all nice but dont get to bigger stuff (the level 2 boss) if you can't even shade small things correctly
(in order to have it adabt to the other stuff that you made (everything else is small)

As for shading in general, try to look up different techniques, you will then evolve once you got a hang to dithering/aa (aa might be a later stage of pixeling)

And about your subconscious edit, I have no idea what you're talking about  :lol:
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:01:33 pm
Sorry for being so vague, but your post gave me an idea. If I can get blender working, I may have something in the low poly forum section.

I decided to play around with the style a bit. This is what I came up with. I think he has a lot more character now though. And to be honest, I think I have trouble with, among other things, contrast and picking the right amount of saturation. I tried a different leg stance but thought this was a bit better.

CnC?

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:36:15 am
I can barely even tell it's a person, let alone holding two guns...Is it a person? It looks like some kind of bug-man (after zooming in four or five times as it's unreadable)

whats with the shading on his stomach...does he have a ball for a stomach?

And the colors...oh my.

Why are you working against such a saturated background, anyways?

Go practice pixelating references, you should be able to get a better grasp of colors then.

Also, the sprite is so small, I don't know why your trying to shade it so much, it just makes it completely unrecognizable...

Is everyone supposed to be all super midgetey?

Anyways, good luck, I think you need to go practice some general art.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:50:58 am by Draco9898 »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Fighter Practice

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:21 am
Thank you draco.

I tried making it taller. And I think I cut out the bug look. I have really bad (among other things) color picks. I just don't know what settings to use. The white background is what I'm actually working on. Blue is the game background.

Anyone want to stab a crit?

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:40:46 pm
It seems I've started a small trend! Did I ever tell you that I came up with the 'chill pill' saying back when I was in grade school? No joke. Okay, I'm not funny. But, I have been working on this though. I looked at an earlier edit that I think Kazuya did for me awhile back. At least I tried to.

Now I must go have lunch. Any CnC?

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:44:04 am
And here, I thought I was getting better. Sigh.

I played aroud with the colors a bit. Actually, I stole them from a palette tocky did for someone else. But, I don't know the big deal about palette ownership. Sure, it's a group of hand picked colors. But, that doesn't mean someone else won't use those same colors. Does that mean they took the other person's palette and gave no credit for it? I'm rambling. I included the old Hunter sprite for comparison to see if I got any better. I dunno now.

CnC anybody?

(Well, I guess I'll get started on the background objects again then. Some up tomorrow mebe.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:12:22 am by xhunterko »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Level Dump

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 06:53:53 am
I apologize for the large size. And I don't know how to do transparency.

Okay, first off, is the human enemy character. There are several shading mistakes on the right side that I'm aware of. I tried to fix those but I'm running out of time, I'll probably fix them later though. Also, looking at it I think I may still have some problems with the legs. While it's easy to see on the cat character there, the enemy is a little difficult for me to tell. I'd like to get some tips on how to show knees and such without knee pads. The rest is the redone level tiles. I really wanted to do something different. When I looked at Tigsource, over roughly half the platformer games there, all where based somewhat around the Cavestrory/Underside style. I wanted to do something like the snes guys did. So I looked at some of those and picked something simple that I liked. The variant with the large square tiles looked too much like Cavestory, so I scrapped that idea. So that's what I've been working on lately.

Any CnC?