AuthorTopic: [WIP] Skeleton Warrior  (Read 6292 times)

Offline samw3

• View Profile

[WIP] Skeleton Warrior

on: August 17, 2009, 08:57:58 pm
This piece is one of the baddies from the game.  Battles are done in a Dragon Warrior style with one baddie per battle.

So.. I'm starting with a sketch here.. a sword in his right hand, a buckler on the left arm.

I guess, first off, how does the pose look?  I'm trying my hand at some fore-shortening.  I'd like it to feel planted yet active like he's running at you.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:18:47 pm by samw3 »
Sam Washburn

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Skeleton Warrior

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:09:09 pm
It looks good so far.  It seems somewhat traditional for the sword's blade to be somewhat more foreshortened in such a pose, but I think that this look is good, too.  It's hard to tell at this stage, though.

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:09:57 pm
If you were in his point of view, His left arm looks too big other then that I think it looks like a great stance, it looks like he is ready to pounce at his target at any moment  :hehe:

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:33:34 pm
Why is the background so dark? I can barely see the outline on my monitor.

The pose looks decent, but his arms seem a bit long.

I made this edit before I realized the title was *skeleton* warrior.

I tried to do a see-though effect in some parts to show you some of the body parts that are hidden.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:35:05 pm by EvilEye »

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:35:22 pm
Thanks, EvilEye for the edit.  I like the foreshortening you've got on the sword, that's really nice.  Sorry about the contrast.  This one's a little better.

Here's an update.. the stuff on his head is trying to find the volume of it.  How do the bones look now?

Sam Washburn

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:51:08 pm
His left shoulder should be lower then his right shoulder, because if you make your self into that pose you right shoulder is higher up
because your putting your weight into it.

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:28:08 am
@Dyble, he's pulling it back.

Here's some more progress...  How's it look?  critiques?

Sam Washburn

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:39:38 am
The skull is not just a cylinder. You'll need to make the shadow follow the facial contours.

I also think the dithering is out of place, it doesn't really work. The right foot (his left) can use some work.

I like where it's going :)

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:09 am
Ahh he is pulling back, DOH!  :crazy: your skeleton is really good looking, but Should'nt his nose area be a dark hole? not just a dark outline.
maybe your going to fix that kater just thought I would point it out jsut incase you didn't see it

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 05:39:33 am
the lower leg and forearm each have 2 major bones, not 1.  Kneecaps are nice to have, too.  ribs stop and spread at the solar plexus.

the overall pose is OK but the sword is in a very awkward place.  he's in no position to attack, advance, or defend.  since he's apparently swashbuckling (shield), recommend actually keeping the sword sheethed and the buckler across his front, shoulder height, to allow for the first move (drawing to a mid- or high-block before entering the attack), OR if you're opposed to that then a more defensive pose with the buckler arm held in the same position as the first but the sword drawn and crossed downward over the off-hand presenting the flat of the blade to the enemy and offering the shield boss-point centrally with the intention of forcing the enemy into an attack by way of shoving.  In sword and buckler this is called second guard, first guard being identical to that found in epee fencing.  if you need a charging pose, keep the hand at shoulder level in line with the head and the sword pointed at a relaxed vertical to allow entering a thrust, swash (cut) or returning to the second described stance.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.