AuthorTopic: KOF XII Dot Art  (Read 16018 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: KOF XII Dot Art

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 10:54:05 am
I think the biggest crime here is that in spite of all the time spent on it, the game *still* feels very half-assed.
I also have strongly negative feelings towards many of the "new" character designs. I can't quite put my finger on it, but ever since falcoon got a job, every new character introduced just comes off as insipid and tacked on.
Falcoon, I just want you to know that I think your designs are terrible. TERRIBLE.

Anyways, the whole "dot art" flyer looks like a fairly typical arcade flyer akin to what you would have maybe seen in the early 90's. It's pretty silly no matter how you look at it.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 09:38:00 pm
I loved the animation in the older KOF games. often the accuracy was stunning yet the moves were still flashy and crazy.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 01:13:43 am
Also I like how the top of Raiden's clothes looks like drawn onto his body. Nice bit of craftsmanship there.  :n:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 01:19:15 pm
There's a alternate color where his top and emblem are flesh colored. Looks like they did that specifically so he could go shirtless.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 06:16:38 pm
still lame, could have been done better even if made for colourswapping. I don't approve.

Offline JaViS

• View Profile
    • Pixelatom

Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 06:40:17 pm
Well guys I'm tired, you are filling your mouths with words telling a lot of bullshit about the graphics of the game. But I really want to see you doing something better!

Comon' do something, show me you are better than them, 1 sprite only, in HD, an stance animation,

Show me you can do better or stop talking bullshit

"still lame, could have been done better even if made for colourswapping. I don't approve."

Who are u to approve or not something!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:42:26 pm by JaViS »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 07:47:31 pm
[...] But I really want to see you doing something better! [...] Show me you can do better or stop talking bullshit

See Javis, this is the beauty of critique: you do not have to be as good as the person you are criticising, you merely need to have enough understanding of the subject.
I am not a musician, tho I can still tell if a certain piece of music is poorly made.

The difference is that here many people are very good pixel artists and if given the assignment to do something like this could do as good or better.
To be fair the team making KOF is under a timeschedule which probably is quite tight so more power to them for doing things in a streamlined way which does require minimal back and forth communication to approve stuff since there is a really simple style guide.
The main problem I am having is the high talk they are spouting on their page, which is marketing yes, but total nonsense.
The art in KOF is so streamlined and robotic in execution that there can not be much talk of soul.

This reply was a bit tongue in cheeck and sarcastic, next time I will add some kinda smiley  :crazy:
Of course I am in no place to tell anyone what they should do unless I would be in their team heading the art direction.
That said, I worked on games where we had colourswapping which was quite complex, but that would require extra communication between the coder(s) and the artist(s), which I take there is no time for in such a big streamlined game.

My suggestion to you is not to take everything you read on the internet at 100% face value and not get a knot in your pants if someone attacks something you might be a fan of. It will make your live a lot less stressful.

To the people who said the times estimated are hilarious, have you actually calculated it?
Let's see:

1 working month = 20 days
6.5 month = 6.5 x 20 = 130 days

1 normal working day = 8 hours
130 days = 130 x 8 = 1040 hours

1040 / 500 frames = 2.08 hours per frame.

Roughly 2 hours to clean up frames as big as the ones here from the 3D render to a flatshaded 2D look or to do the gradiation and whatnot pass seems a fair time assessment to me.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 03:29:23 am
Well guys I'm tired, you are filling your mouths with words telling a lot of bullshit about the graphics of the game. But I really want to see you doing something better!

Comon' do something, show me you are better than them, 1 sprite only, in HD, an stance animation,

Show me you can do better or stop talking bullshit

"still lame, could have been done better even if made for colourswapping. I don't approve."

I love many of the old work, however this isn't as great as they make it sound it is, really... as everyone says, it's a bunch of smooth talk for marketting purposes... they are making it sound like it is the ultimate form of pixel art... which is not, that's what people mean though. I understand your reaction... and it reminds me of the reason why I don't join game fan-forums... cause you either agree on liking something or agree, if not you get all the fans attacking you. Face it dude, we're all different... some people here think their talk is bullshit, just like how you think these protests against that talk is bullshit... get my drift? gnight.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:08 pm
Ignoring pixel optimization issues, I actually like some of these. Their take on Athena with the thick thighs and cute face is at least close to the spirit of the original design (something which is rare). Their shapes/lines are reasonably dynamic, and I prefer the use of flat shadow and light with a saturated edge over the muddy linear gradient chrome poop we saw early in the 16 bit era.

As for the pixel art-ness... these sprites are pretty huge so there's a lot of barren areas with not a lot of detail. Smaller sprites have more places for clever pixel optimization, perhaps? These huge sprites have a weird [too flat/smooth] look, like nothing new and interesting comes from the larger size (they give me the same feeling I get from clicking on an interesting thumbnail, only to discover that the high rez image is a boring smooth airbrushed thing barren of detail). Also, the large size of these sprites kind of promotes banding. It seems to me that the shadows could have used some darker areas (or interesting fill light) because they look a bit flat now.

It's interesting that they use Athena in that article, because that game is my current redesign project.  Graphically it's pretty OK I think. It has some interesting designs and simple colors. The characters are poorly brought to life though, with stale animation and quirky movement. The (arcade) intro is brilliant.

Also, a public LOL @ JaViS

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 01:57:18 pm
Somewhat OT:

You probably know this already, Arne, but SNK did their own little revamp on Athena a few years back, a japan-only cellphone game. Really nice-looking in my opinion, especially since they kept the chubby 80s design on Athena herself. Looking forward to seeing your take on it though.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/mobile/i-mode/special/athena_ft.php