AuthorTopic: GR#008 - Personal Project Concept - Sideview Backgrounds & Sprites  (Read 21200 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] personal proj. concept thread - UPDATED 8/27/09

Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:16 pm
If the effects are being rendered by the would-be engine, it wouldn't really matter, would it?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 11:26:51 pm
I really like the direction this is heading! The dark ground works very well in conjunction with the faded background to establish a clear foreground.

as far as the rays of light go, I don't know why it's even an issue. As st0ven said, this is a game mockup. Besides, a hard edged light would clash with what I assume to be the target rendering quality. If anyone is really concerned about "purity" in the end product, think of it this way... The tiles and characters will be put through pixel refinement, which means AA. The light, therefore, should also go through AA, and because of it is not a static element drawn directly in the characters or tiles, the AA is attained through its transparency. It is, in a way, AA'd against the background colors via varying levels of opacity.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 08:14:34 pm
So beautiful...

I also love the non tile look, it's so much more organic kinda like how Vanillawares games are.

Also why does the whole thing have to be pixel art?  In Megaman ZX they used pixel lights in the forest and I thought it looked really bad and out of place, however the lights in this are much more fluid and more pretty looking.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 10:56:57 pm
definitely go back to the blues you had before. it is a slight change but in my opinion the blues are more powerful or whatever and give it a great, shit-hey-im-an-alien-and-i-just-crash-landed-in-a-forest kind of atmosphere.. like, more earthy. if that makes any sense.. the greener sky also just makes it look like a warzone in the background somewhat, or like a factory kind of deal. i mean if you are going for that kind of look in the game then by all means do what you gotta do, then thats purely stylistic. but in my opinion i like the whole earthy look the blue sky gives. plus the blue sky just blends better with the stark-like nature look of the forest (with the bright highlights and all... which i love!) and once again if you want that kind of look then thats great but i really think the blues fit and give it a real nice, charming atmosphere.

and also, the character change isnt really too good.. i mean yeah it looks great but think about it. you want this to be your main character, right? the one right before that displayed that greatly. could use some slight improvements but his character was clear and golden, leaning towards some kind of charming personality, like an iron giant kind of a thing. this one? to me the character just loses a lot of his charm and almost looks a bit colder than the other. the other was big and clunky... had lots of charm, sort of underdog-like. but this one just doesnt sit well in my mind. maybe its just me and my personal opinion or maybe im just used to the old guy or something but i wouldnt be as happy if i played as the new guy than if i played as the old guy. may i suggest a combination of the old guy and the new guy? like, you could take the new guy and make him a bit bigger, more clumsy looking i guess.. like around the shoulders. i dont know im not so great at character design personally but i think you get the point.. the clumsy kind of look he used to have was just cute and charming i guess.. not cute like cutesy but just.. looks like he had a story i guess.

all in all though you have talent and you dont need me to tell you that but shit i would love to play this game. you know if you are planning on putting an engine together if you hit me up i would love to do some sound design work for this.. i enjoy doing sound shit myself and i also have a great friend whos REALLY interested in doing some ambient sound work, if thats the kind of music youd be looking for. trust me even if youre not ready to think about sound yet keep us in mind because i know i know what im doing and he knows what hes doing more than i do so i think we'd be good for that kind of job :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:59:34 pm by Jad »