AuthorTopic: GR#007 Yeti Project - Sprite Development  (Read 55337 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: [WIP] The Yeti project

Reply #80 on: August 20, 2009, 10:41:51 pm
When I saw this latest version, I thought it looked fairly detailed and refined. Then I remembered you saying that this was for a game. I immediately imagined animating it, secondary motions on the tufts of fur, maybe even some sub-pixeling. I broke out in a cold sweat. Good to hear (for your sanity) that this is a static sprite!

The mauve-colored secondary lighting almost looks like radiosity due to the magenta. As far as defining the shapes are concerned, it looks odd when on the edge of an internal shadow (like on the shins). You have some dithering on the quad, but I don't see you use it anywhere else. This iteration is definitely a huge improvement over the original. It seems like you're more committed to a specific direction with this sprite.

The style of combining comic-book inking with AA and shading reminds me of these sprites:
http://sdb.drshnaps.com/Feb8/SBHU_Supes.png
http://sdb.drshnaps.com/Feb8/SBHU_Bats.png

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #81 on: August 20, 2009, 10:51:40 pm
hah, did you know those are st0ven's sprites, big brother?  I didn't know people ripped those already.  I saw him working on these at work

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #82 on: August 28, 2009, 03:14:21 am
When I saw this latest version, I thought it looked fairly detailed and refined. Then I remembered you saying that this was for a game. I immediately imagined animating it, secondary motions on the tufts of fur, maybe even some sub-pixeling. I broke out in a cold sweat. Good to hear (for your sanity) that this is a static sprite!

The mauve-colored secondary lighting almost looks like radiosity due to the magenta. As far as defining the shapes are concerned, it looks odd when on the edge of an internal shadow (like on the shins). You have some dithering on the quad, but I don't see you use it anywhere else. This iteration is definitely a huge improvement over the original. It seems like you're more committed to a specific direction with this sprite.

The style of combining comic-book inking with AA and shading reminds me of these sprites:

Nice superhero sprites :y: Those animations look great.

I guess all the heavy black shadows is what makes my sprite look comic-book style. Usually I don't do that ( I think ??? ) since I prefer a lighter look.

Personally I am not a big ditherer. I do it sometimes and it just bothers me so I add another color or something. Or use it in a way that makes it look like detail.

Well I think I am done with this, even though there is still something that bothers me about that back leg.

Here is my last edit:

I did a portrait but this time wasn't pixeled. I think it came out fine really, no need to put myself through hell again this time.

Found almost the perfect reference on google:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/chris_6713/yetiref.jpg

Here is the progression in case someone is interested:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/chris_6713/pprogress.jpg

And here is what it all looks like in-game:

Phew :blind:

In all seriousness if someone really can pump out something like that in an hour, I would be interested to see how you do it.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #83 on: August 28, 2009, 04:23:06 am

In all seriousness if someone really can pump out something like that in an hour, I would be interested to see how you do it.

- I would have really liked to see you expand upon or explore the direction conceit was taking. It feels very natural in the painted environment that you did. He couldnt do it in an hour but he was able to do something really quite nice in a couple hours and i think that putting in that extra 90 minutes of spitshine or so in ones work can really make the difference between getting something done to make progress, and getting something finished to its full potential as a piece of art.

commenting on your game mockup (i know this might be a little off topic from the original intent of the post but it sort of ties back into it in some way in my head - i think). I think the background is nice enough, it gets its point across, and i think the sprite looks quite nice, and the knight sprite looks competent (i personally dont care for his shield by comparison, looks a good bit flatter than the metal in the armor), but the elements, thrown in with the style of HUD elements youve thrown in, none of them really seem to fit into place with one another, so the game screen looks rather disconnected as a result. The purples youve chosen for your yeti seem much more conducive to an icy cave or at night where the light reflects softly off the snow or something. If youre not up for redoing the yeti again which id completely understand, id at least consider studying the palette choices to have it more cohesively match its environment?

note to BB - i have higher resolution versions of those if youre ever interested in checking them out send me a PM or something. The style was very purposefully chosen to mimic an inked illustration youd expect to find in a comic - i do quite agree now that you brought it up, particularly in EvilEyes most recent rendition with the shadows punching so dark as they do so abruptly.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: August 28, 2009, 05:13:55 am
I have to agree with st0ven about the different elements in the mock up not matching stylistically.  Mainly because of the "heavy inking" on the sprites, yet the softness of the background.  Aso the cripness and sharpness of the sprites with the relitivly fuzziness of the background.  And while it could just be cause I dont know what the games actually like, but there seems to be alot of unused space in the screen.  The trees also just seem to big too me, compared to the sprites.  I mean I guess they could be very large pines but something about them makes me see them more as smaller pine trees, and the fact that theyre in the distance makes me feel they should be a bit smaller.  It could be because of the way the trees bend and tip over a bit.  I think taller trees tend to be more straight, as a very tall pine bending like that might tip over (? or the trunk is thicker so the weight of the snow/leaves doesnt bend the trunk), and the pines/leaves start higher off the ground, but then again Im not a tree expert in the least.  I like the yeti though.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:48 pm

- I would have really liked to see you expand upon or explore the direction conceit was taking. It feels very natural in the painted environment that you did. He couldnt do it in an hour but he was able to do something really quite nice in a couple hours and i think that putting in that extra 90 minutes of spitshine or so in ones work can really make the difference between getting something done to make progress, and getting something finished to its full potential as a piece of art.

I agree conceits version works a lot better with the background, but I am totally out of steam on this piece, I couldn't redo it again if I had to. I'll save what I've learned for the next one.

commenting on your game mockup (i know this might be a little off topic from the original intent of the post but it sort of ties back into it in some way in my head - i think). I think the background is nice enough, it gets its point across, and i think the sprite looks quite nice, and the knight sprite looks competent (i personally dont care for his shield by comparison, looks a good bit flatter than the metal in the armor), but the elements, thrown in with the style of HUD elements youve thrown in, none of them really seem to fit into place with one another, so the game screen looks rather disconnected as a result. The purples youve chosen for your yeti seem much more conducive to an icy cave or at night where the light reflects softly off the snow or something. If youre not up for redoing the yeti again which id completely understand, id at least consider studying the palette choices to have it more cohesively match its environment?

That's no mockup, that's a screenshot from the real thing. The HUD is one of those semi-temp things just to get something there, but you're right it doesn't look that good.

The knight was done a while back when I was still learning to use a wacom. It's also not pixeled.

The purple highlights might not be right for this terrain but I will probably use this sprite for another terrain also. The old RPG palette-swap / reuse-sprite trick :y:

I have to agree with st0ven about the different elements in the mock up not matching stylistically.  Mainly because of the "heavy inking" on the sprites, yet the softness of the background.  Aso the cripness and sharpness of the sprites with the relitivly fuzziness of the background.  And while it could just be cause I dont know what the games actually like, but there seems to be alot of unused space in the screen.  The trees also just seem to big too me, compared to the sprites.  I mean I guess they could be very large pines but something about them makes me see them more as smaller pine trees, and the fact that theyre in the distance makes me feel they should be a bit smaller.  It could be because of the way the trees bend and tip over a bit.  I think taller trees tend to be more straight, as a very tall pine bending like that might tip over (? or the trunk is thicker so the weight of the snow/leaves doesnt bend the trunk), and the pines/leaves start higher off the ground, but then again Im not a tree expert in the least.  I like the yeti though.

The unused space is for the other enemies / allies, there are a total of 9 squares on each side. 9 enemies and 9 allies max. The bigfoot is on the front line in the middle. The AI puts him there.

The style differential is a problem, but there's not much I can do. Sometimes I pixel stuff, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it turns out good, sometimes it doesn't. I do the art more as a break from programming then anything. It's more entertainment then work, so a lot of times I'm experimenting. But in the interests of time I can't redo things to make them look consistent.

If you think the trees are too tall in on this background, you should see my swamp :lol: I've got bushes as big as both those sprites :blind:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:30:00 pm by EvilEye »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #86 on: August 28, 2009, 09:08:16 pm
I would just like to say I enjoyed your tutorial style writing and how it used neat little things like the slot machine.  I loled heartily!  :lol:

One thing though...I feel like your sprite could be rotated to the right just a bit because it looks like it's off balance, its driving me nuts.

Here's an edit with the rotation I suggested

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #87 on: August 29, 2009, 05:30:41 am
That portrait could be better done in pixels in little less than an hour...

JK

In all seriousness, I believe the black outline is making the yeti ( who is well done imo btw) stand out a bit too much from the knight, and most likely any other sprites that weren't pixeled. Sel-outing ( the helm way, not the old tsu way) would help a lot. I'd be interested to see what this will look like with the  hud and other elements finalized.