AuthorTopic: Tile set - Cliffs, grass  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Tile set - Cliffs, grass

on: August 16, 2009, 05:37:32 pm
Two hours of having fun. Tile set is still a bit bare without vegetation, etc, but I like it so far.

Tilesets:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Tile set - Cliffs, grass

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:22:29 pm
Hmm... I swore I posted before, but I really think that the cliffs are overall flat, at least in the shadows. They seem to lack the depth that such a rocky cliff-face would have.

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:56 pm
Great tile set I really like your style, But the character looks so out of place to me,  Shadow are normally not Sharp and there kinda smooth looking, I know Im being really picky but thats all I could see that could be changed  :y:

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:03:59 pm
The tiles themselves look great to me, but they don't blend very well together in the screenie. I see you used transparency for the area where the grass and rock meet, I think the transition should be smoother, like little random blades of grass on the edges. Same applies to the base of the cliff.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:15 pm
It took me awhile to figure out, but I realized why your cave looks like it's floating above the grass. It's because there are no blades of grass covering the low parts of the stones. Also, the top grass should look different from the bottom grass. I'm not sure how, but right now it looks like there's a hole in the top and you're looking through onto the grass below or something like that. The character looks out of place also. I like the rocks a lot, although you might want to make the shadows more defined and use a little blue in the hue to make it more realistic.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:28:07 pm
I really like the rocks, but In my opinion the colours are too grey unless you want that.. you should also define more the shadow, probably something like this?:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:43:05 am
Thanks for all the replies! I'm thinking about how to fix some of the issues, mainly the rocks sitting on top of the grass. These rocks needs to function equally well in grassy environments as dirt environments, so I can't just fix it. I'll look into a solution.

Here's the new version. I didn't like the scale at all, so I'm redoing it completely, based on the old. I went for more contrast, a different stone (fits the grass better) etc. I didn't update the grass and shadows yet and the rocks are WIP. The mockup does not do the tiles justice.

Offline Phones

• Darn Right
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:45 am
The thing that stands out the worst to me is still that the rocks just seem to be placed there, like the fell right out of the sky or something. Adding a shadow and some grass around the edges would GREATLY help.
But the tiles themselves do look quite nice! :)

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:06 am
Looks great so far, maybe add some smaler rocks in the grass near the cliffs to make it seem like some of the rocks fell off abit.

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:45 am
You should definetly change the color of the grass on the cliff to a different color on the ground. Or the other way around. Maybe you should just but dirt on the cliff.

PS: I hope I get as good as you one day.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:33:55 am by D~Dawg »