AuthorTopic: Some steampunk things.  (Read 9990 times)

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Re: Some steampunk things.

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 01:33:38 am
I dont want to be nitpicking but how is this steampunk related?

And I don't want to be nitpicking, but who cares? And who cares about how engines work? We all learned that in school. Just make a muffler and smoke coming out of it is the simple solution. And you usaully don't wanna pay much attention to anything non-pixel art related that they say.

My pointers:
I say do more work on the gaint legs. Your doing pretty good with the small stuff details, but the legs are...lacking.
I'd go with the 2nd palette, or the last one. Just really brings it out.

Good Luck

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:36:58 am by D~Dawg »

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:24:05 am
And who cares about how engines work?
Might help if you needed more of an idea on what parts to add.
We all learned that in school.
We did? :P

And you usaully don't wanna pay much attention to anything non-pixel art related that they say.
Why? Isn't that kinda condescending? Advice is advice, right?

The colors could 'pop' a-lot more.

Also- the tiny machines are really hard to read. Try more contrast

Also if you going 'steampunk' I can't really say this reminds me of anything but mechs or big robots. if you really need it to be steam-punk it'd work on that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:39:58 am by Draco9898 »

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:11:05 am
I dont want to be nitpicking but how is this steampunk related?

And I don't want to be nitpicking, but who cares? And who cares about how engines work? We all learned that in school. Just make a muffler and smoke coming out of it is the simple solution. And you usaully don't wanna pay much attention to anything non-pixel art related that they say.

My pointers:
I say do more work on the gaint legs. Your doing pretty good with the small stuff details, but the legs are...lacking.
I'd go with the 2nd palette, or the last one. Just really brings it out.

Good Luck

d~dawg, ive seen your posts in many other threads on this forum. now maybe im not one to comment, but youre damn rude and i dont think you have a right to comment on someones advice like that, let alone anything.

hey lizzrd, heres some advice i gave to jakman4242 in his steampunk thread (you can read the original thread here:http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8999.0):
it looks ok, but youre right... it doesnt capture the steampunk theme as well as it could. have you done your research? look up steampunk in the dictionary, steampunk style, scenes, etc. look up vintage things from the 1800s to early 1900s and such. stop watching tv and stop exposing yourself to modern things. i mean it. do it. clear your mind of everything modern.. and really, and i mean REALLY, immerse yourself in vintage things. not 1950s, like 1800s vintage. read 19th century literature. watch old, OLD movies. like, early 1900s movies. expose yourself let it reprogram you. and really imagine what things would look like if they ran on steam and manpower. i mean REAAALLLY get lost in your thoughts here. what would your world be like if you suddenly woke up in a sort of fantasy, 1800s-like world where everything was made of bronze and metal and ran on steam?
in order to affect the outcome of your actions, you MUST change your thoughts. question your entire current reality. why doesnt everything run on steam? why did we switch? how would everything be changed if suddenly we went back to steam? i may seem a little out there, but trust me.. i do this with my music and it really affects it greatly. reprogramming yourself to attract what you want (in your case, a good looking set of steampunk influenced sprites) really does work wonders. (for anyone who is reading this, i recommend you apply this to any aspect of life, whether it be pixel art styles, writing, or any art form..)

and i mean it about the tv thing. you shouldnt pay much attention to the media in general... just do it. do it for a few days and see how it affects your whole mindset about your art here.

heres a few resources to get you going:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&q=steampunk&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20 - steampunk results in google images
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20080613/the-10-coolest-steampunk-gadgets-ever/ - 10 steampunk gadgets
http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/fantasy/pages/steampunk-landscape.shtml - a cool wallpaper
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/10/how_to_draw_steampunk_mac.html - steampunk art tutorial
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&sa=1&q=1800s&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&start=0 - 1800s results in google images

good luck and get emotional about it... let that shit flow.
the colors seem a bit too saturated also... go for a more bronze kind of look... try something like this palette: http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/344499/Village but maybe add a highlight for a more metal kind of look.
hope this helps.. sorry i couldnt give you much individualized advice, but i thought maybe that post would help you too.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:16:59 am
D~Dawg, who is Commander D, with which account has gathered 2 strikes, gets his third and last strike for these series of rude posts and is banned.

A year away from the forum will do you more good than bad, D~Dawg/Commander D.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 03:49:31 pm
thank you for the repilies, i'll try to have something up later today.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 04:14:57 pm

This better? Because now i tried to make it look like a steam engine with legs.

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 04:32:03 pm
oof - That is really really small!
At this size, I think you'll need to simplify your shape to make your sprite more readable. Right now its a bit hard to tell what it is (I'm thinking an armless robot with something on his back, right?). And also: you could do with less colors. The top left one already has 20, the majority of which are different shades of grey. Here, so many shades won't be noticible, so you can just lower that palett are re-use the colors a lot more.

Hope this helps!

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 04:53:01 pm

It's far from perfect, but now i made readable arms and reduced the color count for it.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 05:57:45 pm
do you have a drawing of your robots? i feel like it could help us help you if we saw a larger version... dont get me wrong, i LOVE tiny things..  but ekbatdesebat (cool name.. haha) is right, its a little bit hard to read at the moment.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:09 pm
i don't have any drawing of them, because i don't find it neccessairy in this situation. They are just some generic robots with a exhaust on the back and a furnace in the chest.