AuthorTopic: [WIP] asjidsfjksdfkjsf i hate trees  (Read 19367 times)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

[WIP] asjidsfjksdfkjsf i hate trees

on: August 15, 2009, 05:55:55 am
FINISHED!!!:

EIGHTH:

SEVENTH:

SIXTH:

FIFTH:

FOURTH:

THIRD:

SECOND:

FIRST:

sooo... i figured i should work on my trees.
i read somewhere that making a tree is like a bunch of circles, so i drew my circles, drew a trunk and was pretty happy with the lineart. so i figured id go for a circular kind of odd look for the tree... and shit its terrible... for some reason i cant come up with a good tree palette... the trunk is ok to me but it could use some work too IMO... but i just dont know what to do with it at ALL.. could someone PLEASE help me out with this thing, its really bothering me
c+c please... be freaking brutal
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:38:32 pm by fortunato »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] asjidsfjksdfkjsf i hate trees

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:01 am
I feel awful so i'm not going to bother typing out an explanation let the edit speak for itself.

Was good practice for me (trees are not a strong point of mine, i hope you manage to get some other's with good advice in here). I hope it helps. :]

I also reccomend searching "tree" in the search bar, it has some excelent results that would really help you.

EDIT: *reuploads* Sorry, my bad. I was just about comatose tired last night when i posted.  :blind:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:57:49 pm by heyy13 »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:04:25 pm
I feel awful so i'm not going to bother typing out an explanation let the edit speak for itself.

Was good practice for me (trees are not a strong point of mine, i hope you manage to get some other's with good advice in here). I hope it helps. :]

I also reccomend searching "tree" in the search bar, it has some excelent results that would really help you.

It's a JPG! :huh:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:44:25 pm
It's a JPG but it sure gets its point across nicely.

The old tsugumo tutorial with the ball tree always confused me cause .. a bunch of balls really doesn't convey a tree that well - but heyy13's edit shows how you can use it to create some nice looking leaves.
' _ '

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 01:55:01 pm
Did you ever read this topic by Scriblette? It's a great read, all of it. It might give you some insight about how to better go about structuring trees and such.

What you have her so far isn't too bad, I'd go in a direction similar to how heyy13 does it. Are you using these graphics for a game, by any chance? Or just practice?

There are a lot of different ways to construct and render the tree, so you might benefit from trying different styles. If you're not using it for a game that is, if you are, you'd want to stay consistent.

Also, if you try something new, making it slightly larger might not be a bad idea, but it's up to you.

I really don't enjoy the spheres approach, either. But if in the end-result it is well concealed then good. I just encourage you, to, once again, try different methods.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:39 pm
I think that round bubbly foliage would be cute (something in between the original and heyy's first edit) in a quirky way, but then it wouldn't work with the realistically rendered trunk. If realistic is the way you wanna go, heyy's edit is a good example of pixeling a tree using the tsugumo model (what i got out of it was to draw a bush and c+p all over the trunk, which... yeah xD)

EDIT: @Dr D : that thread is a godsend!  :o

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:48 pm
From Enterbrain:

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:02:50 pm
In my experiance the ball method only works at a relativly small resolution. Since it doesn't lend itself too realistic construction of trees at larger sizes. But it's so fast and easy to work with at small sizes, and if your unsure of how to shade something can really solidify depth in your mind. Even for large trees if your unsure of how you should be placing the highlights you can take 5mins to make a ball outline, tweak it and then use that as a referance.

I don't think i like the enterbrain tree, it is alot more realistic in construction but just doesn't look nice too me.

Scriblette's topic is increadibly useful and a good read.

In anycase i can't wait to see the OP's progression of his tree. Might him him to try out afew differant styles and methods of work.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 04:15:24 am

update..
figured i should get better at actually drawing trees before i do any weird ones... used graphicsgale default colors haha, but they look 10x better imo. this is obviously really rough, but i wanted to get everyones opinion so far, like what you guys think i should improve on..
btw heres the reference so you can compare:

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:36:57 pm
small update

fixed up the shape of it and tried to make it less flat looking.. i think its coming out pretty good so far, what do you guys think? im still painting but i wanted to make sure it looks right before i do any REAL detail.