AuthorTopic: [WIP] asjidsfjksdfkjsf i hate trees  (Read 19375 times)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] asjidsfjksdfkjsf i hate trees

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 06:03:15 am
hi again! two things... tried to lower the saturation on the colors and got this...

then i bumped up the saturation a TAD so its more in between the old one and the one up above. this one also has some more defining work.

what do you guys think? to be honest im getting concerned that im overdoing it... or maybe im just going in the wrong direction? help please!!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:39:55 pm
You're noising it up with all the dithering is what's going on, there's actually nothing wrong GENERALLY with the rendering and dithering, but the dithering creates one pixel noise

One pixel noise turns the leaf bunches into meta-clusters instead of having small pixel clusters that represent leaves

The one-pixel noise thing turns makes the eye believe that the tree is fuzzy or that the leaves are so small they all turn into a fuzzy mess, thus making the tree a bit broccoli-like

So I'd say put some more emphasis on leaf-like big clusters and try to avoid single pixels when not in a dither cluster - if you know what I mean!

I think the progress in this thread is completely tremendous and this is one of the nicest trees we've had here in a while! Fantastic!
' _ '

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 05:17:38 pm
I'd say it's not really noisy, but rather not the correct texture. It depends though, I don't think it's a bad texture, just that it's maybe not the best one you could achieve.

That made no sense, did it? ::)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 12:03:23 am
I'd say it's not really noisy, but rather not the correct texture. It depends though, I don't think it's a bad texture, just that it's maybe not the best one you could achieve.

That made no sense, did it? ::)

no no, youre totally right... it could be better. but its just like i dont want to go too solid cause im afraid its gonna lose volume or whatever and obviously too dithered comes out as noisy.. im just concerned about how i would go about changing it i guess.. i think maybe i could expand on the clusters like jad said, maybe?

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:48 am
I don't think it's noisy, but any more dithering and it would be; gotta agree that you need to tame it some, because it gives the tree a 'fuzzy' texture. But most of it is perfectly fine, I think you should keep it mostly dithered; smoothing it out would create a plastic tree, and who wants that? XD

Not really a crit here, just a personal thing--I liked the more saturated palette, at least for the brightest shades, too.

Without a doubt, you're a fast learner!  My mouth hit the floor when you posted your second version. :o

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 04:57:48 am
thanks bissle!!! and i also forgot to thank jad and gil for their comments... means a lot!!!  :)
fixed up the tree shape a bit, tried to clean up the dithering and focus more on a 'leaf cluster' like look haha... also, trunk update!!

im really proud of how the trunk is coming out so far... it looks like it goes in and comes out at certain spots... but guess what, thats only one rectangle bitch!!! haha sorry i just like it a lot... anyway what do you guys think? i could improve on the leaves more without a doubt but i wanted to get you (your?) guys' opinion on the trunk first..

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 01:39:50 am
The colors, shading, volumetrics all look awesome. Also like the shape. Trunk could use some type of highlighting or something, right now it looks rather flat.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:43:38 am by Draco9898 »

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 05:26:50 pm
I think that the only problem with the trunk, is that it is too much straight, try to add some bump, or slant it a little, and it will not look "flat" anymore...
The rest is relly wonderfull, maybe worth of featuring.

Offline Hibernated

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 11:53:56 pm
Wow! Teach me!   :P

That really is amazing. I agree with Draco about the trunk though, as proud of it as you are adding a brighter shade would make it look more solid I think. Did you ever use that lightest brown shade?  ???

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 06:16:01 am
thank you so much everyone! and about that trunk... my goal was to actually give it the illusion through subpixeling that its not just a straight rectangle... as anything else (i.e. adding actual curves and such) was just too extreme for my tastes... and no hibernated i never used that lightest brown shade haha (there are probably a few shades that i never used on there). i reeally have to try and sleep now but i will try to add more.. not rectangly-ness tomorrow. and ill try out that highlight shade, draco! (i actually typed toucan first but corrected myself.. that icon!! haha)
also.. wow politopo thanks so much, featuring.... haha. that would be pretty sick!! maybe it could if i stopped taking breaks haha..