AuthorTopic: [WIP]Boo-Boo~~from YOGI BEAR!!  (Read 15668 times)

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

[WIP]Boo-Boo~~from YOGI BEAR!!

on: August 13, 2009, 10:58:41 pm
this is something that i drew. then i pexeled it. i'll get the original on here before too long.
I always pixel things that represent things i like. I LIKE CARTOONS!! so here is my boo-boo:

but i'm not nearly done with this one. i still gotta clean em up around the edges and shade him.
but for real dont yall think hez cute?? if you say no, then don't bother posting here. :P haha jusplayinwichall

I <3 BOO-BOO!!!!!! (c:)

p.s. simply say yee-haw @ the end of your post if you agree that my avatar fits me real nice!! LOL
(i'm bein for serious now!!HAHA)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:04:47 pm by ~*McMuffn*~ »
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Boo-Boo~~from YOGI BEAR!!

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:21:30 pm
You shouldn't have posted him yet if he isn't even shaded.
The only thing I can critique is his fingers. All the rest of him is thick outlined, but the fingers are skinny.

(Yee-haw)

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

bandier than the average bear!

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:25:02 am
Actually, it's perfectly fine to post just line art - no colours required. :)

The line thickness is inconsistent. If that is intentional, you should learn what banding is so that you can make those big chunky black lines look smooth and how they could actually belong. :)
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: bandier than the average bear!

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:56:20 pm
If that is intentional, you should learn what banding is so that you can make those big chunky black lines look smooth and how they could actually belong. :)

Don't get the terms mixed up, please!
Banding doesn't work well often, and makes the art/lines look blurry. AA is the way to go here. A good reference would be Panda's work.

OT: 100th post :)
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: bandier than the average bear!

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:24:37 pm
If that is intentional, you should learn what banding is so that you can make those big chunky black lines look smooth and how they could actually belong. :)

Don't get the terms mixed up, please!
Banding doesn't work well often, and makes the art/lines look blurry. AA is the way to go here. A good reference would be Panda's work.

OT: 100th post :)

Holy shit, yes. Please, no 'banding tutorials' in the future, please!

Your yogi bear is traced over an original and misses the grace of it because the original is made from tension between straight lines and curved lines coupled to them. Don't just line-tool this, think about what makes it work as it does more. Right now I feel like i'm looking at a low-poly, flat-rendered version of the character.

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:24:59 pm
i still gotta clean em up around the edges and shade him.

Did any of you guys by any chance read that? (gez, you guys are so off topic. :mean: )

Anyways, "ontopicism":
I noticed the belly...When it comes down to his leg, it's just straight. Round that out.
And did he break his leg? (the one closest to us) I think it's pretty clear what I'm talking about. ;)

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 01:08:16 am
Uh, sorry chaps - I didn't mean AA. I actually meant banding. Maybe I misunderstand the term, but I sometimes see banding when just using a solid thick line of one colour. I thought the black outlines two pixels thick might look better if their thickness was less haphazard - that the lines looked to me as if they created some sort of banding effect with, well, themselves, negative space around them, sort of thing. I didn't know whether she'd know what that was, to then know how to clean them up properly after.

AA I figured she could well avoid entirely if she wanted to as a style choice. Some people insist on using thick lines.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:17:25 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 04:06:03 am
AA is still preferable.  You simply AA around the thick edges of the thick line to make the thick black outline blend into the piece better.  Not only that, but you can use AA to control thickness and shape around curves.  Banding does not let you do that.

There shouldn't be any reason to use banding, ever.

Edit to show:

Granted, I'm not the best at anti-aliasing (hair still looks a bit jagged, didn't pay much attention to his left eye, etc) and not every portion of this image is AA'd, but you can see how AA can improve the use of thick lines without resorting to banding.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:08:17 am
You need to read up on terms Scriblette. AA works perfectly with thick solid lines, it simply means smoothing them out with buffer shades.

Banding on the other hand is an ugly pixel artifact that appears from time to time. There's tons of threads on how to get rid of it and it's never something pleasing to the eye.

Offline Hatch

• Half man, half human
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 04:37:15 am
I think everyone has misunderstood Scribblette. I believe he/she is saying that the thick black outlines convey the same sense of fat pixel banding--not that banding is a good technique that should be applied.