AuthorTopic: [WIP]Boo-Boo~~from YOGI BEAR!!  (Read 15670 times)

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Boo-Boo~~from YOGI BEAR!!

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 04:58:06 pm
dont yall have anything to say??
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 05:29:49 pm
Actually, 8-Bit sprites have no or very little shading. They're still sprites, though.

what

I just wanted to highlight this and try to fill in with words what the explosion in Cure's mind may have sounded like:

while many qualities and techniques surely are affected by the media chosen and hardware limitations, and some techniques can only arise out of such, you would need a stunningly small/poorly chosen palette to remove shading.  8-bit includes far, far too broad of a color range to make that sort of generalization.

then I wanted to translate what I think cloud meant, not what he said:

just because an image isn't shaded doesn't mean it's not a sprite.  There are plenty of examples from older systems with strict limitations on size or palette or for their own purposes forwent deep or impactive shading, yet at the same time displayed a certain undeniable quality, including many of our favorite titles.

about the piece, AA doesn't mean simply placing an intermediate single pixel at every step, this only produces a jagged burry line instead of a smooth one.  kittenmaster posted a great reference for you, while at the same time i recommend a hop over to the tutorials section where you can find many, including a nice one by ptoing that comes to my head.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 05:53:12 pm
An edit is about the most I can do to help, only on the one leg though:

You really need to work on your AA, and perhaps look up some of the many, many posts floating on these forums about it. There is even a few challenges all about AA that you can read on, as I'm positive they have a lot of helpful information. AAing is all about blending two colors, and a single pixel on the edges of lines isn't going to do that. More often than not you will probably need two buffer shades, though sometimes a single one can work. However in a piece as low in color as this, there is no harm in adding a few colors strictly for AA, especially when it will benefit so much. You also don't need to use grey for AA on black on white, as sometimes you can pull it off with other colors in the piece like my edit has.

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 03:59:35 pm
EDIT: EDIT: how about this, I QUIT THIS FORUM CUZ YALL R A BUNCH OF WIERDOZ!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:07:53 pm by ~*McMuffn*~ »
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:27 am
Just going to ignore the above post and continue for discussions sake, this topic may be useful in the future.

Anti aliasing:

Step 1:

Here is a selection from your line art, you need to think about the information that these pixels represent.

Step 2:

Here is roughly the information the above pixels should be trying to convey.
You'll notice that even though the image is still broken into "pixels" the actual detail does not obey the restrictions, this is to accurately represent the information and basically how it should be received.

Step 3:

The image is now obeying the restrictions of the pixels, each pixel that from Step 2 that contained X% one colour and X% another is now those percentages put together.
This is perhaps the best way to sum up anti aliasing.

Step 4:

Cutting down on the colour count, there's no reason to have dozens of colours that are essentially the same.

This isn't the work process for anti aliasing, and the final product isn't ideal. This is just roughly how you should be thinking while anti aliasing.
It's not quite as simple as "adding buffer pixels" you need to know how many, what intervals the ramps may be at, etc, hopefully this has helped with that. :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:46:32 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 08:35:20 pm
She is banned btw.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline decker

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 02:28:19 am
hmm now im just a lurker, but can you guys appreciate the overwhelm factor that may have washed over this lil girl?
(REM as long as it was not some inside joke meant to be?)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:29:55 am by decker »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 02:31:58 am
Dunno what happened but her loss. I'm sure someone can make use of the help and learn something, hopefully.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54:10 am
Oh I've learned a good bit from the examples in this thread already. Thanks everyone.

And some people might have to learn the hard way to grow up and act in a mature environment.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 02:40:53 pm
Don't know much about her intentions, but judging by the way she's been behaving as of late, it looks like she was after praises and social networking activities, and doesn't understand an awful lot of C&Cs offered.

You guys did a good job offering help to improve her skills. It's just too bad she took it the wrong way.

That was uncalled for. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:54:03 pm by The Mozack »