AuthorTopic: Photoshop doesn't display colors correctly?  (Read 5998 times)

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Photoshop doesn't display colors correctly?

on: August 24, 2007, 06:58:31 pm
I've been noticing lately that Photoshop doesn't seem to be capable of correctly displaying colors (or if not Photoshop, then every other displayer of images on my computer). I first noticed this back in April when I was working on this piece:

I made this image in Promotion and since my trial expired I could no longer export as a .gif so I just went and pasted it in Photoshop. To my annoyance, however, the pasted image was a bit less saturated. However, I did not find this same discrepancy posting it in Paint, and in Photoshop when I used the Save For Web option, it exported it using the original colors as intended. So in this particular instance there was really no harm done, but I'm now finding it frustrating.

I can't easily show you what I mean, since this only affects images while they are being viewed in Photoshop and not after they are saved or print-screened. Although, while testing it out, I created an image of just an indigo-ish blue color, and upon exporting it found it to lean more towards indigo than I had intended:

So basically, what would seem to be happening is when Photoshop exports images it seems to be leaning all my tertiary colors towards relative secondary colors, if that makes sense. Anyone know what would cause this? I'm pretty sure Photoshop isn't magically able to display more colors than other programs, so I don't understand why it would do this.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Photoshop doesn't display colors correctly?

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:15:15 pm
Check your color settings: edit>color settings
Open it, and hold alt and the cancel button will change to reset, press it and see what happens.

While we're on the topic oh photoshop... mines has started an annoying habit; anytime I open a new file instead of the window opening next to the toolbar, it opens behind it. This is very annoying when working with pixel art because most of the time the images are so small the window is completely behind the toolbar, and it makes it hard for navigation(I have to resize the window and drag it out). Anyone know a fix for this?

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:20:51 pm
The settings are already at the default. Perhaps they need to be changed? I'll play around with that.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:32:46 pm
Ya, try loading different color settings.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:29:40 pm
You probably have photoshop set up with Adobe RGB as your working space. Try going to Edit > Color Settings, then choose sRGB or 'Monitor RGB' as your RGB working space.

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:21:25 pm
It was set to sRGB by default. Neither option seems to be working anyway. :\

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 12:25:49 am
I don't remember how I set mine to display colors correctly. However, here's a way to temporarily make sure you're working with the colors you'll end up with.

Go View<Proof Setup<Monitor RGB.

You'll have to do this every time you open up a new file or fire up Photoshop, but at least what you see is what you get. Try messing around with the "Colors Settings...", in the Photoshop menu as well.

Good luck!
-c

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:22:58 am
hey guys, don't know if you've already solved this problem, since it has been so long. The following link has the solution though:

http://www.viget.com/inspire/the-mysterious-save-for-web-color-shift/

It works for me! :)

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:43:55 pm
Hey, this is what I was looking for. I had started a similar topic not to long ago. There seems to be a lot of disagreement about whether this is actually a good thing or not, but it seems to work for me.