AuthorTopic: Graffiti Ghosting (to do or not to do)  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Graffiti Ghosting (to do or not to do)

on: August 12, 2009, 08:46:20 pm

I expect mixed opinions on this whole thing.
Still pretty rough, I didn't like his pants being blue so I made them brownish, and didn't like it so I made his hoodie green.

Oh, and the squares are supposed to be studs.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:05:54 pm by Souly »

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Graffiti Ghosting (to do or not to do)

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:48 am
Its been awhile since iv touched any pixels
but figured id make you an edit

the spray looked too much like 3 transparent paperthin layers, stacked ontop of each other.
There was also no sense of it dissipating.
Here is a quick example at providing abit more depth, and some of the dissipation.
(I added some turbulance to the fluid flow as its Reynolds number proved it be turbulant instead of laminar flow, haha for those who get it.)

please, also try to stay away from 50% dither.
There may be times when it is needed, or in certain amounts. But not an entire section. There are other techniques for blending and texturing
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:23:08 am by flaber »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:20:24 pm
I have to dissagree with flaber here. 50% dithering for transparency reasons looks much better than the other options.

While flaber's smoke might look more correct, I'm fairly certain it won't look good on any backgrounds because of the noisy transparency.

Offline Morden

• View Profile
    • Morden の不気味な日記

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:28:31 pm
I'm not sure what kind of effect was Souly going for here, but there is one thing that bothered me. It looks like the top layer is creating a small see-through gap and normally nothing would do that, be it spray paint, smoke or anything else. I did a quick fix up to illustrate what I mean.

I'm a total noob when it comes to pixel art, but that's what I thought. Generally, I think the paint cloud lacks complexity, swirls and twirls, but I'm not good enough to just make the coolest adjustments like some other members of the community can.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:50:17 pm
well this works a million times better than the red guy which is proof that you're progressing with it, telling me 2 things - it has promise and it's hard to judge since it's so young.  Anything with promise is worth pursuing.  I like morden's edit and i appreciate anything that can make me attracted to 50-50 dithering.  You're also using a more sophisticated palette than I'm used to seeing from you, especially in the trousers.  there's some anatomy to be picked at, but i'm guessing you wanted him to be more about graphical lines than human forms.  the one thing i must nitpick is the flattened international gothic style face there, it's not really forming itself in space but it's got enough mass and detail to be distracting.  the light is hard to justify, and the sharpness....suggest something more along the lines of http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_61.101.16.jpg (soft, sculpted, accurate) would do better than trying to draw the face as our accustomed symbols.  aside from those points this more or less gets  :y: :y:
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.