AuthorTopic: Amorbis' Random Pixel Art and Processes  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Amorbis

• View Profile
    • Planetary Confinement Band page

Amorbis' Random Pixel Art and Processes

on: August 12, 2009, 05:36:47 pm
This post will contain all of the random pixel art i do... As well as the processes i used for colouring and/or making the shape.

piece 1 : "50x50 Wall Tile" : colouring >> distance fade >> colour pallet.

More to come.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Re: Amorbis' Random Pixel Art and Processes

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:49 pm
Not to sound harsh, but is there any reason you're doing 50x50 tiles? Normally, for a game, you'd need 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 or 64x64. Other than that, nice effort! :)
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:03:32 pm
Not to sound harsh, but is there any reason you're doing 50x50 tiles? Normally, for a game, you'd need 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 or 64x64. Other than that, nice effort! :)

Yea, that's the typical thing that evolved out of the way computers work, and I suggest going that way. I think it just works so much better.

I like the tile though, despite its weird size. I don't know why, but it looks pretty cool. Very futuristic, I hope that's what you were going for :P
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:19:06 am
Don't listen to them! it doesn't *have* to conform to anything. It's your art. Do what you want with it. Changing the size to something typical ofthe 8-16 bit era isn't going to make it look better.
And unless you were designing a game for hardware that would have a hard time processing tiles that weren't a factor of 4 there's no actual *need* to do so.

Personally I think it would look cleaner if the dashed-lines were solid, or at the very least more focused towards the up and right, that is to say, the bottom and leftmost "breaks" don't really need to be there.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:39:56 am
there's always a need for faster, more reliable display as well as being versed in designing for the systems that are in use.  pretty soon we'll see computers the size of toenails that can display SNES type graphics, but they'll need to follow size restrictions like every other newly developing form.  Plus, what's the harm in trimming 50x50 to 48x48 (3 by 3 16x16 tiles)?  it's very close.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:27:53 am
Sure, if it's generic art that won't be used in a game, then by all means, use any size you like. :)

But for games, still to this day, textures that are power-of-two sizes are required or at least a lot faster to use than arbitrary sized bitmaps. OpenGL, for instance, used to require power of two sized textures, although arbitrary size extensions exist, they are usually slower than power of two because they automatically convert the texture to power of two sizes. And for certain subsets of OpenGL, like the ones used on those "toenail" sized devices devices, power of two sizes are still needed. Because of the way our binary computers work, power of two sized bitmaps will always be faster to use in games than other sizes. Sorry to be pedantic about this, but I'm a game programmer, I researched this, and that's the way it is.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Amorbis

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:45:18 pm
lol i understand the need for power-of-2 sizes and i understand that they are faster to load... i am also a game dev(a new one but still a game dev) and I use the power-of-2 sizes for the tiles i make for games. but every now and then there is a game that need full foreground and background images, and making those images out of tiles(before it goes in game) makes it much easier. like fighting games such as Mortal Combat. They tend to not use tiles... but in the cases that a stage is quite large it is much easier to use tiles and put them together to make the stage background/foreground layers.

Other than that... Thanks for the comments!  :crazy:

Offline Amorbis

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:44:16 pm
new Pixel art.

This is Ran. He is a Herbivore.

Ran lives all by himself in the 67x38 image. He is very lonely. Ran needs a friend!

*Ran will be animated further as i work on him.*
C&C?