AuthorTopic: [WIP] friendly blobby monster, help!  (Read 3828 times)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

[WIP] friendly blobby monster, help!

on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:25 pm
ORIGINAL:

CURRENT:

5 colors w/out transparency
EDIT4:

EDIT3:

EDIT2:

EDIT:

(bottom right is new one)

so... i did a thing where i created a little creature and i increased the color count over time. from left to right, the color amounts are three, four, five, six, eight (these are counting transparency). these were made in photoshop with the pencil and fill tool, with the pallete from the recent iso collab. i made it in a pink background, but i provided both the original and one with a grey background.
and yes i did kinda cheat on the first one... i filled it in and accidently had anti-alias on... but it came out good! so i figured why change it? :\
please comment and help me improve; im only a novice. thanks!

EDIT: description! sorry!
hes like a meatsack, a blob kinda but with a somewhat prominent chin and jawbone.. basically imagine like a little, spherical, pacman like creature with teeth.. not sharp, more like dull molars. hes got glowing eyes with no pupils and a winning smile. it almost has baby like characteristics in its face, and i tried to show its somewhat kid-monsterish, off-color sense of humor.. in the drawing it had a tongue, but i didnt draw it cause of tinyness and it wouldnt really look so good. the thing is supposed to be like a little creature that follows the main character in a game of sorts, like an old japanese game, or a weak enemy in a 2d sidescroller... though in the drawing it seemed more like the former. it hops around and eats anything i guess haha. anything else? lol

i didnt really have a set goal in mind.. i had drawn the damn thing and figured hey ill add one color at a time haha. but the goal as of now is to give it the feeling described up top.. basically a rambunctious little companion. as of now it really does look like a 2d enemy and doesnt really strike you as something to remember (but not too prominent.. hes only a sidekick). help?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:17:44 am by fortunato »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: [WIP] odd angry creature

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:28:52 pm
I really don't think there's too much to say about this, what is it supposed to be? We can't help you reach your goal if we don't know what it is.

I think if you want to try to get better, you should try for something bigger. Not too big, but not so small.

What was your goal with adding more colors?

And that magenta is horrible, I think you would benefit from working on a less distracting background.

Hi, again.  ;)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:38:53 pm
hey dr d!
ahh sorry forgot to explain... hes like a meatsack, a blob kinda but with a somewhat prominent chin and jawbone.. basically imagine like a little, spherical, pacman like creature with teeth.. not sharp, more like dull molars. hes got glowing eyes with no pupils and a winning smile. it almost has baby like characteristics in its face, and i tried to show its somewhat kid-monsterish, off-color sense of humor.. in the drawing it had a tongue, but i didnt draw it cause of tinyness and it wouldnt really look so good. the thing is supposed to be like a little creature that follows the main character in a game of sorts, like an old japanese game, or a weak enemy in a 2d sidescroller... though in the drawing it seemed more like the former. it hops around and eats anything i guess haha. anything else? lol
i didnt really have a set goal in mind.. i had drawn the damn thing and figured hey ill add one color at a time haha. but the goal as of now is to give it the feeling described up top.. basically a rambunctious little companion. as of now it really does look like a 2d enemy and doesnt really strike you as something to remember (but not too prominent.. hes only a sidekick). help?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:43:20 pm by fortunato »

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 01:32:04 am
did what dr d said and tried working on my grey background... added some highlights and fixed a few shape related things. think its looking better... im gonna try working on a bit of a larger scale now.

(bottom right is new one)

EDIT:

again, followed dr d's advice and went a little larger. i really like how it came out! thanks bro. still WIP'in, though! any comments so far?

EDIT2:

went a little further into cleaning up the sketchiness of it and improving the shape. i think im gonna keep the eyes. with no eyes hes more towards the enemy side but seeing as i want him to seem more friendly, the eyes seem to work.. though im still having a little trouble capturing that menacing kid monster look. he looks more old and fat sorta. anyone got any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:29:57 am by fortunato »

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:51:49 pm

changed up the colors a bit, tried to go for a more contrasting palette going from blueish to more reddish. ignore the other colors on the color thing.. the one all the way to the left + white is the palette used. 5 colors without transparency.
i like the heart, but theres this one spot on the right side that bothers me... if you zoom you can see this one pixel that breaks the outline. i did that cause otherwise it would look too harsh of a curve... but i just cant seem to get it to look right! also, the shadow is bothering me a bit too. would anyone help me please??

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] friendly blobby monster, help!

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:40:35 pm
One thing I see that totally makes it look bad, is the hump in the shading under his mouth.

Aslo, the black, thick outlines. Just make it a slightly darker color than his main parts, and it'll look better.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:51 pm
what hump? i tried to make him look like he had a chin, if thats what you mean..

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:46:53 pm
Here:

Is that is chin?

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:58 am
noo haha... its the shadow from the chin. i sorta see what youre saying though...

went ahead and posted it on the pixeljoint forums and got a few crits, so i edited it. fixed up the shadow, shape and outline, and made a version with its eyes closed (happy!), though it doesnt look right to me...

Offline Morden

• View Profile
    • Morden の不気味な日記

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 09:07:30 am

A pointless edit really, but I thought this crazy meatball character looked like Pac-Man on crack. Changed the eyes, but the mouth is still open to the right, I know. Like I said, a pointless edit, just having some fun.