AuthorTopic: Mugshots - Critique requested.  (Read 2637 times)

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Mugshots - Critique requested.

on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:39 pm
  So, now i am working in the mugshotas for my current game (Light - Abyss at my mind)
I really am having trouble for colours... And i would like some critique. These things posted here are about 12% done. I might just dissappear from the net, that's why i am posting unpolished things here - i am in a hurry.

Could you help me? I would like help with - colour pickings, anathomy....

Thank you =S

BRB.

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Re: Mugshots - Critique requested.

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:09 pm
Back. Sorry for double-posting. I just realized i was doing the wrong resolution - TWO TIMES BIGGER @.@'
Anyways, here is an actualized version. Just to make something descent out of this thread. I think people here don't like me. I... wonder why. Did i something wrong? If i did, please tell me. I won't repeat the same mistake :p

Sorry...

Offline Sm.

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:40:34 am
Look everybody! Some idiot is giving critique in his first post!

:(

Well It may be my first post but I've taken a lot of advice from great artists over the years.

Let me start :). It's pretty obvious that you have a knack for drawing, and in the oh-so-popualar anime style. While I'm not familiar with anime there is one thing that seperates the experienced from the beginning artists in that genre and that is anatomy, as you have said.

Here is a little demonstration I constructed, based on the chest-up.

(I'm not trying to be rude, just playful :D)

I can happily say your colors have improved, and you have a basic understanding of hue shifting. Play around with those to get great results.

As for anatomy, here are the things to avoid (excuse the hair).

First, his hair is akwardly made, and doesn't show support of a healthy skull. You need to make it more plump to include the full size of a human head.

(1) - Boys have broad shoulders, and even if it was a girl, the shoulders should be even and placed correctly. The neck, also, needs to be more wide, as a neck with the circumference of a straw can not support a head. Lastly, the shading on the chest is just... illogical. Take into account the indents in the shirt and remember the spherical shading doesn't apply to all things.

You DO have a lightsource, which is good. The main place that fails is the shoulders.

(2) You have a knack of using colors low in contrast, while that can make a good effect, stick to sold, contrast-friendly colors for your benefit. For example, the woman's hair is a mess of conflicting shades of blue. The colors are pretty good though.

The shoulder thing applies for the women too, and you have to reasonably position their torso to accomodate for breasts (that means you have to continue the body under the armpit).

I dig the colors though, but contrast is an issue. Hope I help :(.
Sorry about throwing that soup all over you...

I just had all this soup y'know?

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:55 pm

Update. I did this yesterday. Before seeing this awesome critique up there. Thanks a lot! This will really help me. Really thanks! ^-^

I will take most things in. Yet, sadly, the colours you likes so much (or not) were taken from a Seiken Densetsu 3 palette. (I was having trouble for skintones, so i picked it.... ^-^')

Something that really bugs me... I like the hair. I mean, the hairstyle. Of course, the shading on the hair is awkward.... But.... Ah, i have to go, sis's crying. =/