AuthorTopic: You're a barcode, now.  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

You're a barcode, now.

on: February 26, 2006, 01:11:53 am

Yeah...

C&C, please.

[update below]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 03:46:01 am by Xion Night »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: You're a barcode, now.

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 01:21:59 am
0.o wild. Nice piece xion, quite realistic, however I think its also a tad blurry. The suit seems fine since its velvety (maybe?) but the mask and where new colors meet is blurred, perhaps contrasting those areas would fix it.

blurry color shifts:
tie meets suit
goggle/glass meets mask
coat/suit meets undershirt

I also should mention your pallete is really sweet =D.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 02:49:10 am
That was fast!
Thanks, I'm honoured to have such a comment from you.  ;D
I think I see what you mean about the blurriness. I'll try to fix that.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 02:50:04 am
This is very nice, but really, go the extra mile and rework the mirrored parts. Not from the ground up, just mix them up a little.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 03:45:24 am

Better?

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 03:56:49 am
Tricky hehe... You are very close, definately getting there...

The lower part of the mask is clearer, however upper mask has no form now. I believe its (the upper mask area) has a shine, however shines usualy go highlight-midtone-shadow-highlight (right now there's a midtone inbetween the shadow and the next hightlight, that throws the shine effect off).

Also consider diming the glass/goggles, they're rather bright compared to the rest of the scene (or you could make them glow by illuminating the surrounding mask area).

As for the coat, try using the next blue tone up to AA (its actually a bit too crisp right now ^^U). After your next edit I'll probably do an edit myself because words can't compare to examples >_<.

I should also mention the folds were really great, most people have the hardest time with them.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:19:19 am
Another idea that may reduce the mirrored look would be the addition of buttons and button slits to the coat. May want those on there anyway.

Offline BioMors

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 05:31:44 am
How is that overcoat being pulled together in the middle?  Is it just starched that way, or is there a draw string I can't see?  That's the main thing throwing me off- coats don't do that unless they're buttoned or something.

Second to that, the symmetry is still there a little too strong on the jacket- I think it's the silhouette of the thing- the inner and outer edges of the blue... it's just a bit too perfect, and yet wrinkled.  Perfect shape + imperfect wrinkles kind of creates a contrasting statement.  Is the jacket well starched and ironed (in which case it should have fewer wrinkles), or is it messed up a bit (in which case it should show along the silhouette)?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 05:51:21 am
... however upper mask has no form now.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed. I believe I've fixed that now.
Also consider diming the glass/goggles, they're rather bright compared to the rest of the scene (or you could make them glow by illuminating the surrounding mask area).
As much as I'd like to make the eyes glow, I dunno if I can pull that off.  :-\
As for the coat, try using the next blue tone up to AA (its actually a bit too crisp right now ^^U).
Sorry, I didn't understand that at all.
I should also mention the folds were really great, most people have the hardest time with them.
Thank you! ;D

Another idea that may reduce the mirrored look would be the addition of buttons and button slits to the coat. May want those on there anyway.

I noticed the jacket was a bit blank, but I didn't know why. I've added the buttons & slits, and think I'll add a pocket next.

How is that overcoat being pulled together in the middle?  Is it just starched that way, or is there a draw string I can't see?  That's the main thing throwing me off- coats don't do that unless they're buttoned or something.
I noticed that. Honestly, I don't know.  :P
Second to that, the symmetry is still there a little too strong on the jacket- I think it's the silhouette of the thing- the inner and outer edges of the blue... it's just a bit too perfect, and yet wrinkled.  Perfect shape + imperfect wrinkles kind of creates a contrasting statement.  Is the jacket well starched and ironed (in which case it should have fewer wrinkles), or is it messed up a bit (in which case it should show along the silhouette)?
Hmm...I'm actually a bit proud of the wrinkles [::)] but you're right. I don't want him to look messy, but I also don't want him to look...plain. Any suggestions?

C&C, please.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 06:37:55 am
I was going to suggest checking out the Men's Warehouse website, but it seems to be down at the moment.

The wrinkles are just a bit too heavy. It kinda looks like maybe he found that jacket behind his bed and just decided to wear it. I'm assuming that you want the suit to look pressed, right? Just think about what you'd like the stiffness or density of the fabric to be like. Personally, I'd kill off all of the wrinkles in the chest/shoulder area, and leave the ones on the bottom of the jacket (waist area). The wrinkles in the armpit should be lessened. It's a little too heavy there, and give the appearance that he's, for whatever reason, pressing very hard.

If after cleaning up the wrinkles the suit looks too plain, I'd suggest looking into very... um... flashy suits. Check out some of that crap that Michael Jackson or Elton John used to wear.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:41:08 am by Monsoon2D »