AuthorTopic: AA Question  (Read 3070 times)

Offline samw3

• View Profile

AA Question

on: August 10, 2009, 02:22:31 am
I always had trouble with AA-ing a gentle curve--especially the part near 45 degrees.

Do any of the pros have time to edit this and show me how you do it?   Every time I try the line seems either flat or fatter than it should be, or I end up using way too many colors...

Thanks!
Sam Washburn

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: AA Question

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:40:40 am
I've always been puzzled by how to do a proper curve in pixel art - even just the line art. If you can't go from 2-2-2-2 to 1-1-1-1-1, you've got to have some jaggies (2-1-2-2-1) and minimizing them I don't know about.

I need more AA practice - that wound up blurry and over AAd. Harder to AA from white on to black than reversed, too. As is apparent from my edit, errors that might look okay from white to black are blatantly clear when flicking a negative switch. I wonder - do the pros ever invert the colours of pieces they're working on just to check the AA?

Edit: Ha, I made the silly mistake of not touching the initial line art. Lovely edit below me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:46:26 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:41:33 am
I only tackled the first jaggie on both sides of the inside of the curve, as I assume that's what you wanted. I used 25%, 50%, and 75% grays. Note that hue doesn't matter too much so it shouldn't be too hard finding colors that are usable without having to add new ones, in a colored piece.

It's very subtle, but I think it works, the jaggie is no longer noticeable. You don't want to overAA, anyway.

I'm far from a pro, though.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:08:48 am
To expand on what DD said... (Stole your colours too :D )

Perhaps a bit overdone, my aa sure as hell isn't perfect but you can see that the aa needn't only hug the outlines, you can touch the white too :)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:12:48 pm
My try  :'(

Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 04:49:18 pm
Thanks everyone for giving this a try.  I suppose it just is a tricky thing.  I have to say that Dr D's version is the cleanest and really something I'd like to see in my work.  Thanks for the contributions, I've learned a lot.
Sam Washburn