AuthorTopic: CGA scene (Finished? Need C/C)  (Read 3467 times)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

CGA scene (Finished? Need C/C)

on: August 09, 2009, 09:59:15 pm
Hi.  So I recently got a flash card reader for my DS Lite, and my first instinct is to seek out drawing apps (so far UAPaint is the best and intended for pixel art).

I wanted to use the CGA palette, using the bright turquoise and purple palette.  I don't know why this palette seemed interesting to me, maybe it's because it's as far from reality as it gets, or maybe because it just screams 80's in an embarrassing moment.

Apparently CGA's resolution has stretched pixels, but I have to play by UAPaint's limitations before anything since it only allows 256x192 maximum image size, thus why half the image is my reference.

This is still a WIP, and I purposely uploaded the very, very basic build of the CGA scene before I continued so that I could go step by step and correct mistakes early on that people catch onto before they turn into a monster.

My next step is to correct some mistakes I made by not having the larger, more detailed, reference on my DS available that UAPaint could load.  Now that I have that though, I can load it up whenever I am confused by a part of the image.

EDIT: Oops.  Pixel image is now a .png.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is with the above reference better taken into account.  Pretty much what I'm doing here is trying to represent with different colors, like the sky obviously being white, trees and grass being purple, trees and other plantlife that are sort of in the background being black, the building and road being turquoise (with the driveway that's clearly brighter in the reference as white).

I am hoping to refine this stage even further, and maybe get critique before I move on to adding more detail.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's at this point I'm ready to start doing real color work to give objects more identity, especially on the building which obviously needs work.  Texture and flashiness won't be a priority yet though (but there's still the possibility of me getting carried away.)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Begin to try and get the windows and building into perspective better as well as give it definition (not too satisfied, but at least it's kinda better than just blobs of black that result in drawing the bench over the window bars), tried to define the yard under the tree by using a black line to separate it and the dirt (using the same color for dirt).  Drawn the blue area of the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I learned that I got the perspective of the building wrong.  OOPS.  That's fixed in this image, thankfully, and now the building looks much better.  I also began adding detail to the image, and went ahead and added highlight to the truck's mirror.   Decided to just use black for shadows on the curb since the turquoise just blended into the road and I was already using purple for the grass.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Since nobody cared to critique it before I began polishing and adding a bunch of details (maybe nobody cared, or maybe I was doing well enough that I didn't need it.  Who knows?), I went ahead and did so, resulting in this image.  This is by no means finished, but getting there, of course.  I used dithering to give myself more flat colors, so to speak, and was the last thing I added (even after anti-aliasing).

EDIT: I deleted most of my WIP images to clean up my TinyPic space.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:44:57 pm by KittenMaster »

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Re: CGA scene (Finished? Need C/C)

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:03:50 pm
No comments on this? I think you did a good job with the details, considering the small resolution.

The mirror kind of blends in with the trees in the background, though. That's the only think I'd change.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:10:23 pm
Does this work out okay?  I needed to fix the AA on the mirror anyway:

EDIT: Wow, hahah.  Thanks Atnas for catching that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:43:25 pm by KittenMaster »

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:46 pm
Maybe if you put more of the white from the building in the mirror it would look more like a mirror and less like a hole
Sam Washburn

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:42:27 pm

Better?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:06:18 pm
Definitely better, good going. This result is much more impressive than what was hinted by the WIP. Not that that should surprise me but it kinda does!
' _ '

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:28:31 pm
I'm probably going to call this done and send it to PixelJoint.  It can still be critiqued on though if someone spots something everyone missed.