AuthorTopic: pixeljoint moon challenge..  (Read 4441 times)

Offline tomic

• red is my green, but yellow is yellow.
    • @tomicpixel
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=6236&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • pixeltom
    • View Profile
    • piexeln.de

pixeljoint moon challenge..

on: July 28, 2009, 07:03:13 pm
.. has to wait,
i'm struggeling with something else:

are water/waves any good?
deadline is saturday, there's a shitload of stuff to do and i'm not sure if the waves work..

backup-plan:

looking forward to the secret santa hexqusite corps 2017

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: pixeljoint moon challenge..

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:05:02 pm
Gosh, I'd love to be in a position to offer better critique on this. It's lovely. In my very limited knowledge, I note only a couple of things. For the moment, the perspective of the boat seems to be slanted up too high - but given how well the rest is done, that's probably intended and perhaps you're creating a wave behind the donkey pushing that side up. The cross section of waves looks right, but under the cliffs the breaking crests look too smooth and thick, and to me, mix up with the cross-section at the front left.

Good luck.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:24:41 am
are water/waves any good?
deadline is saturday, there's a shitload of stuff to do and i'm not sure if the waves work.

The waves aren't totally realistic, but they do look cool.

The thing that sticks out to me is the light shining on the monkey head and a sliver of the water. Everywhere else looks overcast. Like the clouds parted and the sun shined down on that particular area.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:10 pm
The Monkey Island is spiffy.

The left end is very busy, the right end is not. Some clouds, suns, moons, or islands could add some visual interest. Cropping is also an option, but keep the boat.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:08:56 am
Haha, continuation to your "dude get a notebook" piece, I'm assuming? Looks nice so far. The waves, as stated before, aren't totally realistic, but then again everything in the scene isn't perfectly realistic so I think it matches your style very well and gives it a pleasing look.

I'll have to agree with blumunkee when it comes to the right side of this piece. It deserves a bit more attention, I'd say. It also feels as if the guy's* (I can't make out the head because of how it is rendered so far) right arm is a tad long.

That aside, I love how it looks so far. The monkey island tribute is spot-on and the donkey's face looks great. Also, kudos on the lighthouse, it fits well!

I hope to see more, man! ;)

Offline tomic

• red is my green, but yellow is yellow.
    • @tomicpixel
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=6236&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • pixeltom
    • View Profile
    • piexeln.de

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:45:01 pm
small update..

lightning/perspective is a bit broken, i know, but i'd call most parts finished for now..
except for 2 things: the boat (of course) and the blankness at the right side - tried to fill that blank area with some pelicanish bird, any better ideas? cannot add another building/castle/boring rock as the lighthouse wouldn't make much sense anymore.. also i'm not a fan of speechbubbles.

gozilla ist also not an option =)
looking forward to the secret santa hexqusite corps 2017

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:56:48 pm
Maybe more clouds in the sky to fill that part?  The sky is pretty much just a blank slate at that point, so I think that would probably be the most effective way of filling space.

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:37 pm
Maybe in the Far distance on the right side you could make a broken pirate ship?
More clouds would be good too as said above  :hehe:

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:20 pm
>( I thought you were a fan of speechbubbles. You're a liar.

The pelican does not look right at all, I prefer the first bird. The pelican seems to upstage the characters in the boat (it's bright colours/crazy exptression), but the original bird seems far less distracting. Perhaps you could also add another cloud somewhere on the right hand side.

The underwater colour looks great, but I think the above water colour could be a bit more green/cyan; right now I think above and below water seem disconnected from eachother.

I'm having trouble working out what the turtle is doing - is he floating or is he standing? I think if he's floating spread his legs out a bit more, or if he's standing put his legs down. Also, maybe some turtle bubbles.

I love the cars, the ominous underwater eyes and the monkey.

Can't wait until this is done ;D