AuthorTopic: WIP tree - C&C?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Lendrick

• View Profile

WIP tree - C&C?

on: August 08, 2009, 03:56:27 am
So, I'm trying to block out the shading for a tree before I start on details (leaves, trunk, etc).  Does this look like an adequate start?

Bart

Free, legal art and audio for free/open source game projects.

Offline skittles.loli

• View Profile

Re: WIP tree - C&C?

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:14:14 am
I can't find anything I would change, so I'd say that's a good start.
It did look a bit lopsided to me, but I figured I'd see how you want to make your trunk look in case you're having the same thought I am.
Can't wait to see more details!

Offline Lendrick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:35:20 pm
Here it is with some leaf-like dithering.

(update) ...and a trunk and a shadow:

The trunk seems like the hardest part so far.

(update again) and here it is on my grass and dirt tiles:

(and with more saturated leaves...)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:39:34 pm by Lendrick »

Free, legal art and audio for free/open source game projects.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:02:31 pm
I think the tree doesn't fit with the rest, because it's like it is on a perspective that is more frontal than the soil...

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58:59 am
I'd love to see a way to put dirt on a different perspective without having to throw a horizon in there XD - that, and I wouldn't have thought the leaves would count as dithering.

That aside, the leaves are remarkably functional at making that a readable tree. Bravo. :)

IMHO the tree foliage colour ramp could use more of a hue shift, into a blue for the darker green - a quick mess with the colour sliders and it had a lot more pop here.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:46:21 am
IMO, there seems to be a distinct contrast in style between various elements; ground, tree trunk, and canopy.

The only thing that seems to be separating the trunk from the ground is the outlines, I feel as if the piece may be improved with the removal of the outlines. Nothing else has outlines, thus far, so it seems out of place. Although, some color tweaking may need to be done to further separate it from the dirt.

The canopy seems to be very unrefined, and painterly. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks lovely, but it's very much different than the other 2 elements in this picture. The ground is nice and detailed, refined, and sharp, whilst the canopy is not. I think a different leaf technique is needed, unless you want to fiddle around and make the ground match the style of the canopy.

It doesn't matter, I love both styles, I just don't think they are working together nicely atm.

Keep up the good work.

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:39:38 am
Maybe a good way to fake the perspective is to add more plants with the perspective of the tree?
Sam Washburn