AuthorTopic: GR#073 - Coder Dept. Weapons  (Read 56832 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

GR#073 - Coder Dept. Weapons

on: August 07, 2009, 05:58:27 pm
What began as inside joke, among myself and my fellow game development cronies, is coming to fruition in the pixel art format. Watch it go.

GAME DEVELOPMENT WEAPONS. Designed for waging the war within the war that is game dev. >>See completed Graphics Dept. Weapons thread

With Graphics complete, Coder's is now next. The Coder's chosen weapon type is slashing, so your typical sword is compliant with that. But I want concepts that are memorable, not just "swords", hence the sword concepts below. I basically just stole the buster and master sword designs. Just for that extra pop-culture cliché. Number 1 - The Coder's Claymore, is already an established motif in use in my group so it has to stay a claymore, but the number 2 and 3 there can be anything.

Basic forms are chosen. I'll be updating here as I progress. Comments on technique as well concepts are welcome; everything is welcome.

Number 1 will have 9 colors. Number 2 will have 16 colors. Number 3 will have 25 colors. Colors not chosen yet, but I'm constrained to the EGA palette for my selection.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:43:50 am by Mathias »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Coder Dept. Weapons

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:16 pm
I don't think number two fits. Compared to one and three, it's a pretty heavy sword design and, in a fight, couldn't be used like the other two. I don't know what your intentions are, but I myself would prefer three swords of the same "type".
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:51:06 pm
IN the second, one the handle is way too far to the left.
I 'm actually going to question your use of the buster sword and master sword, since both icons are just so ubiquitous whatever you do with them will be -recognizable- but lack entirely in distinctiveness in design.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:04:32 am
I 'm actually going to question your use of the buster sword and master sword, since both icons are just so ubiquitous whatever you do with them will be -recognizable- but lack entirely in distinctiveness in design.

I found a version of the buster sword where the handle was intentionally offset, like the two holes in the base of the "blade" area are offset; not centered.
All swords need to be balanced, concerning weight, so the wielder can hold/swing them correctly. I think this has something to do the offset of the particular design I'm referring to. Imagining a crushing blow from this thing it stands to reason that the handle be offset like it is so that the part of the blade area, I currently have colored as pink, acts like a weight to intensify the impact of the blow, the more the offset of the handle towards the cutting edge, the more the weighty backside follows the swing bring more power with it. It's a physics problem. Probably doesn't make any sense, but that how I rationalized how my reference was designed. It may just be distracting.

Once finished, these will be seen by three people. Like I said, borrowing the designs adds a nostalgia and prestige factor. I'm not trying to innovate new sword designs. Instead, I'm kind of celebrating these old beloved designs. Think of it as a respectful homage. These swords are not for use in any game project, or any other type of project for that matter. Certainly nothing commercial.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:42:19 am
For the Buster Sword, sure the handle needs to be offset a bit, but to the other side. On the cutting edge, the sword is much thinner, and hence, much lighter than on the backbone side. The Buster's hanle should be towards the backside of the blade, just like how, for example on a katana, the handle is "curved" in the direction of the backside of the blade.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:48:37 am

I found a version of the buster sword where the handle was intentionally offset, like the two holes in the base of the "blade" area are offset; not centered.
All swords need to be balanced, concerning weight, so the wielder can hold/swing them correctly. I think this has something to do the offset of the particular design I'm referring to. Imagining a crushing blow from this thing it stands to reason that the handle be offset like it is so that the part of the blade area, I currently have colored as pink, acts like a weight to intensify the impact of the blow, the more the offset of the handle towards the cutting edge, the more the weighty backside follows the swing bring more power with it. It's a physics problem. Probably doesn't make any sense, but that how I rationalized how my reference was designed. It may just be distracting.

Once finished, these will be seen by three people. Like I said, borrowing the designs adds a nostalgia and prestige factor. I'm not trying to innovate new sword designs. Instead, I'm kind of celebrating these old beloved designs. Think of it as a respectful homage. These swords are not for use in any game project, or any other type of project for that matter. Certainly nothing commercial.

What beoran said, having the handle offset in the *opposite* direction would have more of the effect you're speaking of. Granted we're not talking a bout a weapon aht could in any way be feasible in real life, but if one were to hold it straight up it would fall back as opposed to forward. Regardless of the handle position relative to the blade, the falling force would be exactly the same no matter where it were oriented on the hilt, Futhermore, if one were to swing such an off-balance sword to the side (not like any sane person would do something so potentially back breaking) the natural inclination would be for the backside to fall down, causing the blade turn up, thus making for an extremely awkward motion. Offsetting it other8 side would have a similar, but opposite effect. I'm honestly sticking to my guns here. As it is it *looks* off balance and it *is* distracting. Whatever the case, i'm not trying to argue with you. Unless the three people who are going to see this are familiar with that particular design you refer to then they're likely to think the same thing.

Also, I don't know if this was intentional or not, but what exactly do you mean by 9 colors? Like 9 concrete color or 9 color *ranges* because the AA you're using really just knocks the color restriction way out of the window there, and looks like it was done using photoshops pen tool with the AA on, rather than definite pixel-pushing.

EDIT:

yading all that it sounds rather harsh. I'm really not intending to be, so I apologize if any of this came off as confrontational. I didn't mean it : :(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:27:32 am by Corsair »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:13:40 pm
(whoops, I didn't realize there were responses here . . .)

For the Buster Sword, sure the handle needs to be offset a bit, but to the other side. On the cutting edge, the sword is much thinner, and hence, much lighter than on the backbone side. The Buster's hanle should be towards the backside of the blade, just like how, for example on a katana, the handle is "curved" in the direction of the backside of the blade.

I think you're right. Functionally, and as with any sword weapon, balance is key, and having the hilt offset like I have it now would make it very difficult to use it.The hilt should be horizontally centered with the swords center of gravity, when in an upright position.

@ Corsair: Critique. The more brutal the better, friend! Really, your post was just fine.
True we're rationalizing against an impossible sword design, but it's good for it to not be distractingly built. Regardless of the perception of the 3 people who will see it. Once I begin work on the buster I'll address it's wonkyness.

Colors. Sorry for not being clear - that first WIP state has all 3 swords created, but just basic shapes, randomly color-coded so the different parts can be differentiated between when it comes time to pixel over. Auto AA heaven. The 9 colors thing means I will eventually reduce it down to only 9 colors, I just don't know which yet. EGA palette is chosen, though.

UPDATE: Claymore hurredly began - Default EGA colors only now, looking slightly more visually interesting, but still quite poor.

(looks like it may be wise to reduce my templates size, next time)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:51:04 pm
UP TO DATE:

. . . oh, it got uglier!

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:50:43 am
But cooler!

Yeah, i've got no critique i'm just popping in to say i loved both of the most recent updates. I'm learning alot about useing the pallet by watching you work. Keep it up! :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:21:48 pm
Simplified/refined flame effects, wanting a more iconic look, rather than realistic. Cut the smoke, it was too cluttering/noisy. Tried to enhance motion of flames, increase powerful appearance.
The whole sword is meant to look ethereal, energized, powerful, etc. Purposely used contrasty high saturation, bright colors to assist in that. Hilt might get some attention now. It's 9 colors are nearly decided.