AuthorTopic: GR#073 - Coder Dept. Weapons  (Read 56799 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Coder Dept. Weapons

Reply #80 on: March 14, 2011, 12:46:32 pm
Hilt detail. Striving for a nice reflectivey crystally icey look. The big flat blade will be an interesting challenge to make look translucent like the hilt.

I want the flames more chaotic and maelstromish.

I'm simply using any color in the palette that works now. Forget color count control, who needs it. This sword was originally supposed to have significantly more colors than the other two anyway, to give it even a technical superiority.

Quoting your whole post for ease of comparison purposesesese

Just tried making it more chaotic and maelstromish. The spirals feel to me like they're going the wrong way! If the energy is travelling upwards and we state that the wispy smoke/fire like energy travels faster the closer it is to the core / the hotter it is, the slower wisps would get pushed away to the side, outwards, and not inwards, since inwards is towards more energy.

thus the direcion of the spirals should be outwards FROM the blade.

I tried to fragmentarize (this must be a real word) the flames/wisps into bigger accumulated masses that define the spiral more by direction of the clusters rather than lines that are then softened up by bands of color. ' 3 ' since that looks a bit pillowshadey.

Didn't touch the handle, but for compositional purposes couln't you change the balance of light reflected in the handle too? The middle of the handle could be almost black and then the reflections would appear more and more intensely towards the bottom. I feel that's how it should look more, and I'm sure it'd give a more tangible feeling of transcluency to the blade. I also think it'd be good, compositionally, have the bottom very densely filled with color, because that would give the eye a 'base' for the sword, where the color denseness from the flames would return in another part of the image, giving the image balance.

My mind is in a complete jumblemess-mode today so I'm afraid I might not be making as much sense as I'd like. Ask about anything that my ADD-mind didn't let me explain properly enough. CHEERZ
' _ '

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: March 20, 2011, 04:20:11 am
All very good points! I think you just saved this from mediocrity. I was ignoring my feelings of dissatisfaction with especially the flames in order to just push this to completion, but not now. I'm going to push those crappy pillowy WIPy flames into a much more intuitive organic natural mess. Thanks for showing me the way!

[EDIT]  Removed the GIF image, it wasn't animating, no idea why. No biggy, the image was just Jad's version and my last version alternating visibility for a clear idea of what/how Jad changed things. Next update will be significant, though . . .
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:27:30 am by Mathias »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: March 20, 2011, 04:25:03 am
Want to see it, but...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: September 03, 2011, 02:13:56 am
9 years later . . .

Very WIP. Thanks again to Jad.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: September 03, 2011, 06:32:01 am
Just keepin' this thread stocked with wippy crap, I find it motivating.

Swirling pink hot death plumes of discord. Jad are you proud of me yet? Jad . . .

jad . . .

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: September 04, 2011, 03:50:57 am
Yay!  My favorite thread is alive again!
I really like your new spirally flames, but I feel like the top spiral should curl back more so that it's centered over the tip of the blade.  That would make it more balanced without affecting the dynamism of the swirls.  Anyway, it is a pretty awesome piece of work!  It gives a nice sense of a glowing crystal

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: September 04, 2011, 04:59:11 am
haha favorite thread, thx

OY, that suggests significant re-pixelling, but I see what you're coming from. And I did design for asymmetry by allowing the top spiral to veer left while there's a large spiral on the right to counterbalance, visually.

A test

Indecision.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #87 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:16 am
beddy time, eroding away the roughness

On one hand I regret making the sword glass/crystal because I would've loved to create a detailed master sword, but on the other hand the commonness of the master sword is minimized into something more symbolic instead, and also much simpler which is good.

I'm starting to feeling the burn of bad ROI on this, so expediting completion now. Sadly, this'll only mean that the Development Weapons as a set are only 1/2 done. 2 sets remain. ZOINKS, SCOOB

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: September 04, 2011, 06:07:39 pm
Heh, color me impressed. I'm really loving the contrast with the near-black sword, and the awesome crazy rainbow flames around it. It's great, from technical and aesthetic standpoints. =D

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: September 05, 2011, 07:46:58 am
Thank you, Jams.

I'm starting to think the sword should be much more silhouetted; even less refraction detail in the sword itself. . .