AuthorTopic: GR#073 - Coder Dept. Weapons  (Read 56813 times)

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Re: Coder Dept. Weapons

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:37 pm
Just a personal opinion: I'm not sure the buster needs the flame effect at all, but if you do add it, I'd recommend not trying to go with "more interesting unpredictable colors". Interesting, yes, but not intentionally unpredictable (or interesting only because they're unpredictable). I think so far the green and pink against the strong blue sheen of the buster really weaken its sharp-cut impact. It would be interesting to see what you could do to the buster without adding a flame effect but just polishing the sword alone.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 09:03:46 pm
This is looking great, the handle on the first sword is wonderful, and progress is looking good on the claymore, I'm really digging the colour scheme. I'll try and give some thought on the flames cos they're bugging me for now, and I'll wait for more progress on the claymore before saying more.
Waiting impatiently for progress!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 05:57:35 pm
The coder's mastersword is likely to be engraved with ancient spells in binary, btw ;)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:56 pm
Gaaah pype, you stole my thunder! The planned concept for the master sword differs but does use 1's and 0's as binary.

Claymore got neglected. Next update it should be dangerously close to finality. At least it's palette is finally established. Even if the colors themselves change, at least their placement is pretty much solid. Palette swaps are easy now.
Buster is . . . confused. Looks like freakin' water. I chose blue as it's primary color, and I think I'm finding that when you stray from established colors for established motifs, you better stick to what is standard as far as shapes go or else risk confusion - so for the next update the flames will be less like liquid and more like typical flames . . . maybe.

@ #36005A  - each weapon requires some sort of particle elemental effect so it's associated "elemental power" is evident. You might be right in that I should minimize the effects, though. But knowing me, and that being the funnest part of these, I'll probably go overboard.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48:23 pm
What you have on the buster sword atm obfuscates it's shape. Perhaps something like lighting would work well for it?
Otherwise I have to say I like how this looks so far. You used the EGA 6bit colours quite nice. :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 06:02:52 pm
Claymore - altered misty glowy junk in bg, still too sandy looking, too gritty, needs more smoothness, may constitute changing colors a bit.

Buster - more fire effect confusion, I still get a water and electricity vibe and not enough fire, too busy, needs tones down, it looks like it's summoning a firestorm and has depth as if there are fireballs far away and some close - this overcomplicates and pretends to be a scene when all I want is a single object with little to no foreground/background definition, fire effects overpowers sword itself whereas the claymore's flames seem to complement it well enough. I do like the downward angle mimicking the blade's angle quite a bit, that's a nice unifying trick. Whole thing too monocromatic, need some better highlighting shades, the green backlight gets lost.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:29:50 pm by Mathias »

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 11:52:52 pm
The NES controller looks a bit strange in the last one, maybe it could benefit from a tiny bit of dithering...
The fireballs? are a bit distracting, however once polished they'll probably look pretty nice.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 08:46:55 am
The NES controller looks a bit strange in the last one
And btw, if you deviate from NES and give it a second D-PAD, it'll turn into a perfect coder joke about how C++ (suggested by dpads) is a powerful but heavy tool through which you'll blow your whole leg if you shoot yourself in the foot. ^_^

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 08:06:01 pm
small update to stay alive, still searching for fire . . .

I like the angularness and the engergyness, will probably just refine now, though the buster itself looks like crap, still wanting more of a gradiently shaded approach. It may be too much to have both sword and flame gradating, may have to just pick one or the other.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 05:17:12 am
I humbly suggest for the fire: old shape & new color.