AuthorTopic: GR#072 - Minecraft Texturepack  (Read 38998 times)

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: Time for some help: My Minecraft texture pack

Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35:20 am
I tried your texturepack ingame, and well, it's pretty boring to be honest.
The dirt looks boring, the rocks are boring. Grass sides could need to be greener and less bluish.

You gotta make the world look pretty, not just the standalone textures.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 07:43:18 pm
I tried your texturepack ingame, and well, it's pretty boring to be honest.
The dirt looks boring, the rocks are boring. Grass sides could need to be greener and less bluish.

You gotta make the world look pretty, not just the standalone textures.
Not exactly sure how to address this, or even what to say. The grass sides haven't been converted and still have remnants of the original grass, which had a slight blue hueshift. I don't know what you mean about dirt looking boring, or even how to improve dirt to look more... fun?

Offline Gemini166

• Professional Pixel Mutilator
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 10:07:09 pm
This pack seems to be coming along nicely, but if I'm correct, you are making a higher def texture pack than the default? I play on a laptop, so I don't feel that I'd be able to use your texture pack  :'( But that doesn't mean I don't have a few suggestions(read: nit-picks) for your pack. Firstly, your stone is very cartoony and segmented, making it look a bit cobblestone-y, and also clash with your more realistic other tiles. I have no idea what that mostly gold thing is above the door(looked it up. That's your monster spawner?). The bark left of the birch looks a lot like planks to me. Some of the wool have fancy designs/gold on them, and the others don't   ??? ? Your flint doesn't look like it could possibly be used to make those flawless arrows. Your tools look very nice, but I like to think of the gold tools as the overly ornate tools, which is a personal thing I guess, but they aren't as durable as iron, so I feel they should at least have looks going for them. Then your diamond tools are overly ornate, which I don't argue with, they just have a lot of gold on them, which only cements in my mind that the gold should be ornate. Then in seeming contradiction to that, your watch is far too ornate for my tastes, feeling like it should be on display somewhere instead of in an adventurers pocket, and also clashing with the compass, which is crafted in a similar manner. But I do want you to know that it does look very nice, I hope you finish it, and the parts I disagree with are just my personal tastes. Also I apologize for this ridiculously long post, I hope you have found it helpful. If not, I apologize again for wasting your time.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:39 pm
I have no idea what that mostly gold thing is above the door(looked it up. That's your monster spawner?).
It is indeed the monster spawner. It will probably be revised in the future since mob spawners now have the useful function of showing what it spawns in the center.

The bark left of the birch looks a lot like planks to me.
It's a more "cartoony" version of some trunks that trees can have(where bark tends to grow as planks almost). I used to peel them off trees as a kid all the time.

Some of the wool have fancy designs/gold on them, and the others don't   ??? ?
The original idea was to give different wools different looks. Red and purple got fancy designs since they, to me, are royal colors and mostly used for carpets.

Your flint doesn't look like it could possibly be used to make those flawless arrows.
True, my first instict when I drew an arrow is to make a typical arrow, not one of flint. I'm not sure if I could make the look of my flint that small though, but I will try.

Your tools look very nice, but I like to think of the gold tools as the overly ornate tools, which is a personal thing I guess, but they aren't as durable as iron, so I feel they should at least have looks going for them. Then your diamond tools are overly ornate, which I don't argue with, they just have a lot of gold on them, which only cements in my mind that the gold should be ornate.
This was something I did on purpose. Gold tools are useless, especially compared to iron/diamond tools, and I don't even think deserve a fanciful design. If a tool deserves to get a fancy design, shouldn't it be the ones that are hardest to make, and are the most useful? As for the gold in it, what can I say? I don't feel like it'd be in the best interest of the icons to limit them directly to what they are crafted from. Sometimes aesthetics > realistic. Realistically you wouldn't be able to make any tools strictly from wood and stone since you'd need to craft them together somehow. Thus my stone tools got rope/string! I felt the diamond tools benefited from being two-tone, especially when you consider how close in color they are to iron tools. I put a lot of importance on blocks/icons being instantly recognizable, so I've made many adjustments to blocks and icons to hopefully achieve that.

Then in seeming contradiction to that, your watch is far too ornate for my tastes, feeling like it should be on display somewhere instead of in an adventurers pocket, and also clashing with the compass, which is crafted in a similar manner.
But the watch DOES have a very useful purpose compared to the tools. So I don't think it's unfair that the watch is more ornate than the tools who no one uses. Also, the compass has been a part of the game for a long time while the watch is fairly recent, so how I approach two icons between 4 months or so probably has a lot to do with it. Though you also have to take into consideration the constraints placed into the game. The content of the watch and compass are generated via code in the game. So the perspective and the size of the watch and compass are pretty much forced onto me. The watch was the hardest because the center of the watch occupied a huge portion of the actual work space, so I had little room to actually do my own thing.

But I do want you to know that it does look very nice, I hope you finish it, and the parts I disagree with are just my personal tastes. Also I apologize for this ridiculously long post, I hope you have found it helpful. If not, I apologize again for wasting your time.

I do appreciate all criticism and it does not shy me away from working on it. I can especially benefit from even those things I can't agree with because in the end I will have alternative graphics for users to pick and choose that will hopefully make more people happy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:01:02 pm by Dusty »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 03:42:14 am
Just wanted to drop by and say I'm loving your pack.  It's truly perfect for minecraft in my opinion.  I tried it out because I've been playing the new 1.8 build.  I switched back to the original textures for a bit and it was completely unplayable to me.  That's how good yours is :P

Keep it up!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 12:48:04 pm
The question was rhetoric. I've played Minecraft.

I absolutely do not think your tileset is a fruitless endeavor. I think it looks great and that you should finish it. It just will be met with resistance by people with a reason: it's too realistic for what the engine supports. What I'd like to see in Minecraft is pure diagonal vectors, flatshade perhaps. I don't think pixels help that game at all.

I actually think rpg-tileset styled pixel art works really well since it's based on tiles and therefore keeps true to the square style somewhat.

Personally I draw the line at pixel or cartoonish textures, anything else like all those "HD photorealistic texture pack" feel a bit strange, but oddly enough you get used to it really quick, even though I feel that a good texture pack should embrace the blockyness and not try to work around it.

Minecraft texture packs is actually what got me into pixel art, so I appreciate the work of all the awesome artists making them like Dusty, eld, doku, Johnsmith, Glimmar, etc :)