AuthorTopic: [WIP]My Flag (c:)  (Read 14592 times)

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: [WIP] FLAG

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 01:54:36 am
Happy?
- made me laugh XD. You can always stow away that Confederate flag in your own little gallery somewhere. Art is art - you're probably safest labelling anything controversial as not intended to be controversial.

Anyway - Gandhi made a lovely edit to the pole and to show how light and shadow would play on the flag - think about the shape the flag looks like from above, a bit like this: ~

Think about how the shadows will play in the tucked away areas and you can see why Gandhi did as he did, plus cloth isn't very reflective as Atnas said.

The anti-aliasing into the blue background is good on the blue part of the flag, but I don't think the red part would fade into light red before blue. Personally I'd give the flag a dark outline to help it stand out, but that's different to how a decent artist should be able to do it - selective outlining and all. Maybe someone can advise what colour you should be using there.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 03:40:10 pm
plus cloth isn't very reflective as Atnas said.

I said that, too.  :D

Yeah, your not doing much work on the pole. Forget about the flag for a while, and work on the pole. It needs to be more shiny.

And notice how your shading goes to the left.

Your ligthing needs to be torward the right.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:32:28 pm by D~Dawg »

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:26 pm
I don't think it's just right vs. left, unless you mean inversion. Gandhi's edit makes it look right though, check that out. At the moment it looks like the light is coming from behind-lower-left of the image, but the flag looks otherwise. :)

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:40:13 pm
At the moment it looks like the light is coming from behind-lower-left of the image, but the flag looks otherwise. :)

Exactly.
And now that I've stared at it some more, it looks like the shading is just a hole in the pole. :lol: (that ryhmed)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:22 pm
Right now there's something funny about the middle of the highlight, where the flag suddenly turns back into a darker colour - make it a straight colour shift the whole way instead!

The top of the pole also looks a bit funny, spherical objects usually have a round highlight also, not the crescent you've going on right now. Anyhow, good progress, gogogo!
' _ '

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 04:54:57 pm
this is my new flag. i tried to fix the material problem, and i tried to meke the pole look more realistic.

but i was told that my flag now looks like metal, so...
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 05:25:05 pm
On the American flag, there are 7 red stripes and 6 white stripes. Yours only has 6 red and 5 white. Add 1 more white and red to it.

Offline gandhi420

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:05 pm
in your latest edit you've got the materials backwards. the flag has a lot of contrast and the pole doesn't have enough. take another look at my edit and compare it to yours. you should also try to establish a light source. the light is hitting the pole on the left but it doesn't look that way on the flag.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:47:58 pm by gandhi420 »

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:52 pm
I don't think that the dithering on the pole was really necessary.

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 11:18:58 pm
I don't think that the dithering on the pole was really necessary.

Or good at all. It gave a weird, sponge - y texture. All in all, i think the colours are all wrong, the shadow casting is all wrong, besides other thing, but this seems to be a rude pool so i will shaddap.