AuthorTopic: [WIP]My Flag (c:)  (Read 14583 times)

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

[WIP]My Flag (c:)

on: August 06, 2009, 06:41:49 pm
Happy? :-\

What do you guys think of this peice of ART?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:04:05 pm by ~*McMuffn*~ »
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] FLAG

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:55:07 pm
First off, it needs 50 stars, not 16 moons. The stripes need to be evenly-spaced, and there need to be 13 horizontal stripes, starting with red and ending with red. Then we can start about it looking like a piece of photo paper.

Take a look at the specifications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States

[...]

EDIT: Removed possibly flammable remark.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:06:23 pm by Durnus »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:13:21 pm
Hey Durnus, what's up with that attitude? There surely must be a nicer way to deliver that critique. Well, this goes for McMuffin too, regarding the first post, but kudos for not giving up.

Also this here USA flag thing is extremely often simplified - especially with pixel art there is often no way of cram all 50 stars in there and make it look good, so mcmuffin sure shouldn't have to try to cram more in there. Although I can definitely recommend trying to study the flag's specifications closely.

The stars do look somewhat like moons, so you might wanna try to give them some more definition in some way.
' _ '

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:22:19 pm
Your stars are WAY to fat and plumb looking. There should only be 4 pixels for each star. I'm not sure how to explain this without giving you a picture:

Placing pixels either way makes it look tiny little circles when it's zoomed out. You can add tiny shading to make it look even better, if you want, but that might make it look too detailed.

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:16:26 pm
Sorry, it's because of the earlier thread and McMuffn's remark:
Happy? :-\ What do you guys think of this peice of ART?
Having read the other thread, I considered this sort of rude, as if we forced McMuffn to switch to an American flag. I barely resisted posting in that thread, so I guess it was impossible here when I could also give critique. I did go a bit overboard though, I admit. Thinking back, I guess I didn't think the attempt was serious, with such a condescending message with it. (Not saying the flag's bad, just that the text around it ticked me off.)

Apologies for that, McMuffn. Getting more on-topic, I have a two little things to point out, easily fixed. The blue color surrounding the flag is different than that between the string and the flagpole. Also in my opinion you shouldn't use gray for the anti-aliasing for the stripes--instead use that light pink color. Other than that it's actually not that bad, and with time it should look very patriotic.

Offline gandhi420

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:03 am
here's a quick edit i made with the correct specs.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:34:57 am
You know what's pretty cool? I see those single pixels as stars. Like, not when I'm leaning in towards my monitor because Chrome only supports bilinear filtering, it's when I'm at normal viewing distance, around two feet from my monitor, I actually see those pixels as stars because it's a familiar and iconic symbol.

I would reconsider such a bright highlight on cloth, which is not a very reflective material.

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:40:17 am
you gotta learn about your textures and stuff. Cloth does not reflect much, but things like metal is HIGLY reflective. (Like you made your flag. :lol: )

Gandhi420's flag pole looks way better than yours. The ball needs to be bigger than the pole, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:41:52 am by D~Dawg »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:48:39 am
You know what's pretty cool? I see those single pixels as stars. Like, not when I'm leaning in towards my monitor because Chrome only supports bilinear filtering, it's when I'm at normal viewing distance, around two feet from my monitor, I actually see those pixels as stars because it's a familiar and iconic symbol.
This is true. You don't always need to draw out the details on your pieces to be able to portray what they are... sometimes subtle arrangements can work just as well, and this sort of thing is one of the many unique parts of dealing with pixel art.

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 01:28:13 am
yes, i know that i wasn't forced to change my flag-But if i hadn't then i would not have gotten any critique, because they couldn't focus on my art. So, with that being said, i'm better off with an American flag. And also, i don't want to affend anyone-even though i did not mean anything by it.

The blue color surrounding the flag is different than that between the string and the flagpole.

HAHA!! I cant beleive that i didnt even notice the color was different. I was just in a hurry, so thats why it looked like, really crappy! LOL!  ;D but i fixed it a little, and corrected my MOONS (not nice, but funny!)  there is still a whole lot of room for improvement.
real funny D~Dawg about my flag being reflective-but i'm new so...

P.S. gandhi420, i highly appriciate your edit. and anyone who would take the time to help me out. I'm not saying that nobody else is helping me-because they are, very much-its just that when people accually redo your art it takes a little more time and effort. :)
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!