AuthorTopic: D~Dawg's Pixels (Ribbs, Swords)  (Read 12360 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: D~Dawg's pixels

Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 11:08:01 pm
Seeing all of these, all I can say is, go back to your basics. Start working with paper and pencil and try getting better at your basic art skills. The way you shade right now, you'll never end up with something satisfactory volume-wise. You need the basics really.

I suggest drawing from life, or something e-based, like posemaniacs' 30 second drawings method

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 01:45:59 am
Even the CommanderD ones?

Darn you!  :mean: How'd you know it was me?

Seeing all of these, all I can say is, go back to your basics. Start working with paper and pencil and try getting better at your basic art skills. The way you shade right now, you'll never end up with something satisfactory volume-wise. You need the basics really.

I suggest drawing from life, or something e-based, like posemaniacs' 30 second drawings method

Shading, shading, shading... I'll work on it. >>notice how I didn't get mad this time! ;D<<
And you're probably thinking I'm ignoring what you said about pencil and paper, but I'm not.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:56:38 am by D~Dawg »

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:14 am
It sounded like you, but it sounded better. :)

Very nice work on the frog outline compared to your previous work.

Besides sketching this and then doing the volumes by shading with a pencil, which you should totally do, there's another way to practice this:

Try one dark colour outline (black is fine for this practice), and two colours (one light, and one dark) for the inside. Greys are fine. You can use more colours later for more practice, but for now these three should be enough.

This way you can just define the volumes - you can practice how the light works. If you understand how lighting works (or want practice), you should be able to do (or try) this.

Look at the other frog shown to you there, compare it to yours. His looks like a solid object, with bright light catching above the lip, on the protruding chin, and then shadows where no light falls at all. Your frog, no offense :) looks like he is absorbing light most of the way through his body, somehow. He's not just one ball - he's a bundle of 3d shapes mushed together, as said above. Shading this all in with pencil is the practice people have been talking about.

Still, I think you're improving when it comes to doing the overall shape. :)
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 02:36:12 am
Aw man, they caught ya!! i told you it couldn't last! :p
Your sword looks really good, but i think it needs to be longer. And your avatar, he looks like he could use some shading. And whats up with the man-boobs, dude??
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 01:14:16 pm
Your frog, no offense :) looks like he is absorbing light most of the way through his body, somehow.

:lol: that was funny. And, yeah, someone else said to make it black and white before, right? I really thought that helped when I did it last time. Oh, and you put 3 ":)" smileys in that post...

The robot is gone now. No mo' robo. Robot's outta here! No more robot.

Here's a little thing I did with Ribbs ;) (sorry for bad quality)
>>
>>

And swords update: changed the old one and made a new one. :D

The new one kinda looks like a cow utter... :P

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:45:35 pm by D~Dawg »