AuthorTopic: D~Dawg's Pixels (Ribbs, Swords)  (Read 12355 times)

Offline Sm.

• View Profile

Re: D~Dawg's pixels

Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:30 pm
You got the idea, but still have a little work to do  :crazy:.

Let me start with two points...

1) Very minor, but notice how his back leg ie exposed to lightsource when that can't really logically happen. Probably should leave that back leg dark.

2) Secondly, you are still doing some... maybe instinctive pillowshading throwback. Notice how the eyes are shaded where they look unrealistic and cheesy, and also how the brightest color is outlining ribs' head instead of being a part of it. See how fucbillgates captures more of the spherical dynamics?

On another note, the colors are definately improving, but you should keep improving them as they still are a little lackluster and low in contrast.

There's my cliche amount of cents.
Sorry about throwing that soup all over you...

I just had all this soup y'know?

Offline ~*McMuffn*~

• RIP B.L.P. we luv n miss u!! <3
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:05 am
sorry buddy, but i cant tell how thats a face.
i dont even no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 12:28:16 am
Try shrinking the big greyish "nose"

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:45 pm
Here's a sword:

So, I wanted some AA-lineart practice, and I started making a lightsaber. But as soon as I made the handle for it, I turned it into a sword.
This is my first lineart, and it looks pretty decent to me. :P

I was gonna stick this in the lineart thread, but I thought it wasn't worth it.

I think the shadow should actually resemble the sword... :lol: heheh.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:40:22 am by D~Dawg »

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 04:31:49 pm

what I did:
changed the shading
fixed the eyes
removed shading on back leg

:hehe:

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 04:34:18 pm
Hi, Dyble! ;D

Yeah, I added a little too much detail on the nose and it made it look huge. :lol:

oh, and scracth what I said about it being my avatar. The swrod SHALL be my avatar

//edit ptoing: stop making so many threads if you have lots of wip stuff going.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:57:53 pm by ptoing »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 04:59:47 pm
so
Are you going to fix this robot thing? What is the purpose of advertising a completely separate work in this thread?
Why do you have multiple threads for quick doodles? Why not make a single thread so as not to clutter the main page?

Right now this robot is rather abstract. I honestly cannot tell what I'm looking at. If it is supposed to look like a face, then make sure it corresponds with human anatomy enough to be perceived as a face.
I currently see a square inside a square on top of orange stuff.

seems ptoing addressed your clutter problem before I could. What swift and observant mods!

Offline gandhi420

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:49 pm

look at these two side by side. see how fucbillgates version looks round? when you only highlight and shade the edges of the frog it looks flat like a disk. try to think about volumes when you're shading. also, your palette also doesn't have enough contrast between colors, they're blending together.

Offline D~Dawg

• ^Foreign Accent
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 06:20:55 pm
I know'd I'd be asking for alot, but can one of you mods combine all my threads into one post?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 07:54:55 pm
Even the CommanderD ones?

As far as the robot head goes, there's not much even pointing to it's status as a robot. It looks more like a megaman energy capsule. Machines are functional, each part has a purpose, and your robot looks more like a storage unit. If a machine has eyes, that means it has a way of receiving visual input, if it doesn't it probably means it is blind or takes aural input. These things go into the design. Because robots can be created and designed by humans, they often share a lot of similarities because of sentimental value and it's what is known to work. To draw something you must understand it. Also, a robot head doesn't necessarily have to look like a head to be understood as a head if you place it upon a body where the head is found. Even if it's just shoulders you add, it could really help this come across as a head and not a <3 mini fridge <3

On a pixel level, you are not economic. You would do well to make better use of each pixel, each color slot. If smooth gradients are found in a palette such as your frog one, it could mean that there is some badass gradated rendering, but a lot of the time it just means unnecessary blur. The digital artist is always fighting blur, at least I am, anyway. In digital painting I find to get nice lines I'll have to sharpen either manually or with a filter, in pixel art I get it by being more economic and having smart pixel placements and a palette with appropriate contrast.

On a general art level, I think what will help your rendering the most will be to consider everything as a separate object, not just THIS IS FROG, but THIS IS A SERIES OF 3D SHAPES. Shade each part of the frog, break it up into spheres cylinders, rectangular prisms etc. It will come as second nature in time, and you will learn how to render objects under a variety of lighting conditions and from any angle. You don't even have to look at that edit you were given, look at your own hand. Look at the way the light falls. It's darker in some places, and lighter in some, because of where the light reaches and can not reach. The light bounces around the room, the light will reflect off smoother surfaces, it all has to do with light. Once you understand light, you will be able to render efficiently. If you do not, you will fail very often.