AuthorTopic: Eye Chicken  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Eye Chicken

Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 03:03:20 pm
If I may just toss in my two cents, the chicken legs don't look like chicken legs at all unless perhaps they're supposed to be fried chicken legs, which I somehow doubt. Find a picture of a chicken and look at its legs. From the ankle down to the toes it's nothing but scaly skin on bone, usually a yellow or pink color. Once you get past the ankles it's all muscle and feathers and whatnot. Do an imagesearch for "chicken" and "chicken skeleton" to find some good references.

Offline SWOT

• #1 Commander of Ickus
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 04:39:38 am
Sorry about not updating this in a while, I've been up to other things. Yeah I guess im having anatomy problems on the legs.
About the colors, I was going for glazed chicken so I guess they look like that. http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/recipes/orange-rosemary-glazed-chicken-quarters/

I added skin to the eye so it seems more likely that the eye would be attached to the legs.
Colors changed and shading as well

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 12:59:23 pm
Ok, I'm having another go at this, cos I just luuuuuuuuuuv strange creatures :P

From left tor right: your last edit, bengoshia's, my new edit, your silhouette, my silhouette.

About your edit:
You still haven't got the basic shading of the eyeball right! The darkgrey on the right side has not got the curve that you'd like in order to render a ball. Instead it's flat at the bottom, makes a 90 degrees corner upwards and then spills to the left a bit at the top. To get a ball/sphere, you should have a look at those straight lines and edit them to be more curve-like, like in bengoshia's edit and/or mine. 

Your iris has a darkblue ridge falling to the right. I presume you want this to be a shadow, to give the iris a more 3d feel? Since you've established the lightsource to come from top-left, your shadow in this case is falling to the wrong side. It should be falling to the right and underside of your iris.

Your eyeball is now primarily grey. To give it more life, you should use fleshy/lively colors instead. Bengoshia used a more yellowish hue, I chose somewhat more towards faint brown red. Whatever you like! Just make it more lively.

I ignored the eye's neck in my edit. Instead I think that the legs definately need some working. Here's a picture of chickens' legs for reference:

Your image of the yummy grilled glazed chicken (I haven't had breakfast yet) is fine when you want reference for color and texture, but not so good when you need anatomy reference. Instead, for that purpose, this image is much more clear:

See the shape of the upper legs in proportion to its lowerlegs? Now that's a chicken's leg! Even in the far right silhouette of my edit you can already recognise the leg as being from a chicken (or at least animal-like  :-[ ). Your legs need some exagerating in their shapes, so you get the big upper legs and much thinner lower legs.

Also, you added some 'feet' to your legs? If you want them to have feet, you should look for the claws that chicken have (as has been posted above in the C&C). Google is your best friend here. Then again, this is a weird mixture of bodyparts, so in my edit you won't find feet. Instead it's walking on stumps, the ankles. Probably hurts, but hell, it doesn't have a brain, right?

So I guess what's best for you is first to get a decent ball/sphere right, with the right shading and color tone, but with the veins and iris. Just the basic object! Same for the legs. Make them convincing as chicken legs!

I hope helps in any way. Now back to you! :) Good luck!

btw: my edit seems to almost be falling backwards, I just noticed.

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37:26 pm
To illustrate my point I made a horrible, photoshopped edit.

That should say it all: to me, with EkbarDeSebat's edit, it looks like the legs are totally backwards. I know you're using dismembered chicken legs without feet instead of actual chicken legs, but the rear (visible) knee always points backwards in birds. There could be some big reason this won't work in practice if my edit were to be used, but I can't really read it as bird legs without the joints going the right way.

(I'm a vegetarian, so keep in mind that I haven't really spent more time than necessary around dead chicken flesh.)

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 01:45:56 pm
@Durnus: actually, the knees point forward. And the bend towards the back is where their ankles start.
You can see that in this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Squelette_oiseau.svg diagram.

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 02:12:32 pm
Yes, I know that, but the joint one can really see is the ankle joint. I guess I just didn't understand that hunk of meat very well, and assumed it was a different part of the leg. It still looks wrong to me, but you're right, that is how it would be. I suppose I... zoomorphized it.