AuthorTopic: GR#007 Yeti Project - Sprite Development  (Read 55046 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: [WIP] The Yeti project

Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 10:41:16 pm
That's not a bad try, but it really doesn't work IMO. There's just not enough pixels to make it work. Especially on the arm where you have even less space.
AA, contrast.
When I mean AA, I mean an intermediate shade between two shades, rather like between a backbround and an outline.
I mean, come on. There aren't that many ways to cheat a resolution. Dusty's got the closest result.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 02:17:32 am
Just wanted to say that, being a novice, the idea of mirroring your work had never occurred to me.  That is a fantastic idea, and you're right, the mistakes just seem to pop out when you do that.  Thanks for the tip!

It's as effective as it is simple. Growing up, I would always flip my drawings upside-down for this same purpose. It's not easy to mirror a pencil sketch hehe.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:18 am
The biggest flaw I see here when you're trying to add fur is simple. You're trying to take a form and turn it into fur, instead of imagining fur on top of the muscles. You carefully molded out various muscle structures, and shade things according to them, only to try to turn them into a fur texture. For this reason I disagree completely with Helm's edit, and all but one of your newest decisions.
--><--
(used this because personally I believe it was superior to the later depictions of 'fur' which I would dub more as greaser-hair)
take the shoulder for example. This was definately a step forward, because it made it appear as if it had fur on top of it, rather than just a textured skin. While you can still see clearly defined anatomy, it doesn't look like the muscles are what you're trying to draw attention to. It still doesnt quite look like hair, to me. You also appear to be using your lineart as if it were a solid uneditable substance, which puts a huge limit on the hair texture.
-->
as an example. if you realize shadows, and how hair acts, it will improve the general texture. Granted, mine could be largely improved with some more appropriate forms, but I didnt allow myself much time for the sake of your challenge, so I only spent a few minutes on it. The outline is one of the biggest issues when considering small resolutions. If you use your outline as anything more than a guideline, you lose proper shading, readability, and style (Outlines make things look cartoonlike, which is bad for fur textures and low resolutions.)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 04:40:44 am
The biggest flaw I see here when you're trying to add fur is simple. You're trying to take a form and turn it into fur, instead of imagining fur on top of the muscles.

Ya well once you get a good look going it's hard to force yourself to change it. I like how the muscle detail turned out, so I probably won't do fur on anything but the head.

as an example. if you realize shadows, and how hair acts, it will improve the general texture. Granted, mine could be largely improved with some more appropriate forms, but I didnt allow myself much time for the sake of your challenge, so I only spent a few minutes on it. The outline is one of the biggest issues when considering small resolutions. If you use your outline as anything more than a guideline, you lose proper shading, readability, and style (Outlines make things look cartoonlike, which is bad for fur textures and low resolutions.)

Honestly it looks grainy to me and not fitting with the style I want.

But here are my latest attempts:

Better?

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 05:27:27 am
I thought this was all about recreating the fur in as close to one hour, or something. To ignore fur everywhere but the head after all that seems a bit of a shame - a little less than spectacular. Surely the same style could work elsewhere on the body?

Love the fur edits by miscdude and dusty, btw :)
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 06:29:20 am
it still seems to me as if youre constructing fur by using sections of colors and shapes instead of...hair. I'm not going to say it doesn't look nice, but it doesn't capture fur to me.
the second progression you just posted seems more of a step back, with the heavily clashing shades on the head.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 08:36:28 am
I have to agree with Scribblette here. The edits by Dusty and miscdude (Especially liking miscdude's myself] are very potent, and I think you're being too quick to dismiss them.
You say they are not what you're going for, but does what you're going for work?
Currently, I like both Miscude and Dusty's edits better than yours.
Especially miscdude's really conveys a feeling of fur. And it looks really good.
On your version you can barely see any fur at all. A little bit on the head, but that's about it.
I really do ask that you reconsider their edits.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 09:24:19 am
Aside from actual critique, I'm still wondering more so why you refuse to say this can't be done in 1 hour.

I don't know myself, but if another member says they can, and if they really can, then who are you to say they can't? Maybe you can not do it because you haven't yet practiced enough, don't know/have the rights tools and shortcuts to make things that much quicker, and thus are slower than more experienced users, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, or anything.

I don't think there's really much of an argument to be had here.

Different people work at different speeds, you undoubtedly work slower than some of the people saying they can't make it faster.

If I'm misunderstanding something, let me know. Sorry for beating a dead horse.

Now, I'll go ahead, and once again, agree with everyone else, and say you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss their edits, I really like miscdudes version, probably due largely to personal taste, but it seems to appease me more than any other piece yet done.

You seem to be refuting practically everything everyone said or shared in this thread, from my observations.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 05:25:23 am
Well here it is, the final version:

If someone thinks they can do a piece comparable to this in an hour feel free to make a thread and show me how you did it.

My estimate is about 5 hours for a REALLY skilled pixeler, and that's with a lot of luck and a better reference.

I've got to go nurse a major pixel hangover :blind:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:30:17 am by EvilEye »

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 06:36:26 am
I'm a bit confused over why on something meant to be incredibly hairy we'd see the muscles as well defined as they are here, most notably on the arm. To be honest, to my unprofessional eye, the shoulder volumes look better defined in Helm's version, the hair better in the three relevant edits provided - and I also see what look like stray white pixels towards the left, making it look grainier than miscdude's attempt. Maybe there is more to be learnt from them?

Not to insult your work, though - it's great, aside from the strays. Maybe the experts can state whether if the muscles were less detailed with sharp shadows it could look more like shaggy hair in your original illustration, and less like thin layer of hair? Also, with less focus on defining the muscles in detail, perhaps a little time would be saved.

...regarding time - for me, at least, this would still take the better part of a day until I'd done a few dozen. Heh. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:27:17 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage