AuthorTopic: GR#007 Yeti Project - Sprite Development  (Read 55033 times)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] The Yeti project

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 03:06:30 am
Heh, Helm I can see I got under your skin somewhere here buddy :lol:

You shouldn't take my post up there too seriously. A lot of it is tongue-in-cheek.

Whenever you try to pixel something with more detail than the res allows, you're trying to trick your way through the medium. This is a very common thing, and common practices work well in getting through the problems that this concept presents. You're reinventing the wheel a little, but hey, that's a good way to learn!

Well darn Helm, obviously you had the solutions to my problems up there all along! You should have posted them and saved me some time bro! Why'd you hold back? :P

Just listen to what other people are telling you (instead of just replying to them)

I usually am really, except when I think other people are saying something just to brag and don't really know what they are talking about ::)

and be mindful of the attitude that you're doing something other people haven't had to deal with years before you decided to get brave and pixel instead of faking it with resized cgi... that's not a good way to learn.

You know pixeling is not an ancient art...

Who knows, one of us old guys really could have been the first ones to do some of this stuff :o

Probably not me, but still, makes you think...

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 03:28:39 am
*puzzled* I was under the impression several of the best artists here were those 'old guys', and that pixelling was an ancient art - insofar as computer graphics go, being the cave paintings that predate post-postmodernistic art (look, my blank red canvas has a soul, only several quillion quid each!).

It sounds like several people here are saying that if a technique has been refined already and you know which one you want to (and which one functions per size) use on a work, you can save time. And that these techniques are not forgotten - unfortunately, they're just not shared.

I am also under the impression that Fool over on PixelJoint is particularly capable at churning out his pieces quickly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:31:52 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 09:48:07 am
I might just add that I think the chest is too puffed out. Does the yeti bench 2 tonnes? The ref. posted by xhunterko looks realistic because you can see the chest and the belly hangs out, it's not like the lower chest/sternum is puffed out like a gigantor muscle. Try to imagine the latest sprite posted by the OP and imagine the yeti is standing up. His chest would come out unproportionally like a large pair of breasts, not like a big beast's muscly chest. Does anyone else see this??

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 10:36:12 am

Well darn Helm, obviously you had the solutions to my problems up there all along! You should have posted them and saved me some time bro! Why'd you hold back? :P

I usually am really, except when I think other people are saying something just to brag and don't really know what they are talking about ::)

Oh wow.

Good luck inventing pixel art on your own.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 05:38:21 pm
Was a bit bored, and this sort of thing is not my forté but I thought I'd give it a try.

Gonna be honest and say I didn't read everything in this thread, but this was about 10 minutes of effort. I've seen amazing things pulled off by amazing artists in pixel art that most people would think before that, it was impossible.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 05:45:05 pm
This is like a challenge who can finish this one hour just using pixel art. But its a bit unfair specially the size, anatomy knowlege + fur needed for the sprite...

Can anyone break this in one hour? I really hate furs :P

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 03:18:34 am
I might just add that I think the chest is too puffed out. Does the yeti bench 2 tonnes? The ref. posted by xhunterko looks realistic because you can see the chest and the belly hangs out, it's not like the lower chest/sternum is puffed out like a gigantor muscle. Try to imagine the latest sprite posted by the OP and imagine the yeti is standing up. His chest would come out unproportionally like a large pair of breasts, not like a big beast's muscly chest. Does anyone else see this??

It's supposed to be the belly not the chest. If you see a picture of a gorilla they have a huge gut that hangs down when they walk. The pectorals are rather tiny so maybe its hard to see.

Was a bit bored, and this sort of thing is not my forté but I thought I'd give it a try.

Gonna be honest and say I didn't read everything in this thread, but this was about 10 minutes of effort. I've seen amazing things pulled off by amazing artists in pixel art that most people would think before that, it was impossible.

That's not a bad try, but it really doesn't work IMO. There's just not enough pixels to make it work. Especially on the arm where you have even less space.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:21:46 am by EvilEye »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 04:41:04 am
I disagree with EvilEye, i think Dusty's quick try is amazing, and really has the texturing down. It may be difficult to show volumes that way but i think so far it has the best texturing of anything. :3

Offline samw3

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 07:05:26 am
Just wanted to say that, being a novice, the idea of mirroring your work had never occurred to me.  That is a fantastic idea, and you're right, the mistakes just seem to pop out when you do that.  Thanks for the tip!
Sam Washburn

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 05:48:12 pm
Well, okay.

This is the closest image I found that matched your piece. Granted it's a bit wild looking, but it's better then that gorrilla picture.

(And this may not be helpful at all, I realize, because it is an interpetation like your drawing.)