AuthorTopic: GR#007 Yeti Project - Sprite Development  (Read 55053 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] The Yeti project

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 04:22:54 pm

I think a midstage would work more like this than the meticulous science you're doing.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 05:24:35 pm

I think a midstage would work more like this than the meticulous science you're doing.

C'mon Helm, that doesn't cut it.

I just posted a trail version of one of the fur techniques I am considering:

Yours / Mine

Now you see what I mean?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 06:04:08 pm
No I don't. What doesn't cut it? I'm trying to help you, man.

Have you noticed all your art is overbright/lacking in lower range? Why do you work on a white background? Is your monitor calibrated?

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 07:00:56 pm
Both of you are right!
It should be a mixture of both styles as it needs a slight second lightsource which would happen to be the purple one, Helm's is too Marvel'ish

You're heading in the right way EvilEye, and this would turn out to be a good tutorial I think...

To your first post, and to discuss a little...
A piece like this would take 2-3 hours for me because of some reasons

I don't bother with lineart as I draw with areas, you somewhat did the same by starting with black but that was it
and you're already bothering with having the lineart clean, which should be only touchups in the end result (saves work)
also, don't always concentrate on parts of the reference, think by yourself!

Anatomy skills help LOADS if you do something like this

as Helm said, you're indecided about the actual process!

Now a comment to the actual image:

Looks nice!  :y:

As for backgrounds to pixel on, I prefer magenta :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:09:34 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:18 pm

Tried to fix contrast issue. The white was destroying my eyes so I put background green.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:07 pm
I don't see why EvilEye wouldn't follow Helm's edit, defines the muscles, interesting colors, contrast, etc.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:17 pm
I don't see why EvilEye wouldn't follow Helm's edit, defines the muscles, interesting colors, contrast, etc.

While it might be rendered pretty nicely, and add a lot of visual interest, I don't prefer it.

To me personally, Helm's edit makes the Yeti surface look a bit too much like smooth, shiny metal. I think it's too reflective, and not very indicative of the unruly hair I'd expect a Yeti to have. I'd prefer seeing a little less contrast, actually, and more a more untamed, hairy, wild side. Although, perhaps it was due to it being a quick edit, and not being all around, I'd have to see more.

And then again, since a Yeti isn't a real creature (as far as we know), it's interpretation could vary wildly, so it really depends on the artists view, I think. For instance, I imagine a Yeti walking on 2 legs, instead of using both hands and feet to travel.

But on another note, I have to agree with pretty much everything being said.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:37:59 pm by Dr D »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 11:11:00 pm
Personally I wouldn't shade a yeti like I did in my edit either but I'm trying to abstract from the digital painted version, keep that in mind. And yeah even if I had the time to finalize the edit, I'd add more whisps of hair, but I genuinely think that dithering would help add even a hairy texture, not just metallic as per usual. I wouldn't do a secondary lightsource like that personally, but it was in the cg original!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 12:57:04 pm
No I don't. What doesn't cut it? I'm trying to help you, man.

Have you noticed all your art is overbright/lacking in lower range? Why do you work on a white background? Is your monitor calibrated?

Not sure what you mean by "overbright".

Maybe it's your monitor not mine. Mine's at default. The white background was because the sprite will be on snow. Or at least I think that was why... I usually work on 255r 0g 255b because thats my transparency color.

Both of you are right!
It should be a mixture of both styles as it needs a slight second lightsource which would happen to be the purple one, Helm's is too Marvel'ish

The slight second lightsource comes at the very end.

To your first post, and to discuss a little...
A piece like this would take 2-3 hours for me because of some reasons

Well, at least that's a bit more realistic. It's still low.

I don't bother with lineart as I draw with areas, you somewhat did the same by starting with black but that was it
and you're already bothering with having the lineart clean, which should be only touchups in the end result (saves work)

It's debatable but this particular piece might have been better started as forms instead of lines. So I'll give you that. It tends to make for a different look though.

also, don't always concentrate on parts of the reference, think by yourself!

Have no idea what this means...

Anatomy skills help LOADS if you do something like this

You can't even do something like this if you don't have anatomy skills...

as Helm said, you're indecided about the actual process!

You didn't bother to read the text. Not a matter of indecision, if you want to do something and the medium doesn't let you then you have to find a workaround.

I'm not saying I didn't make mistakes on this piece. I made quite a few. But that's life.

Looks nice!  :y:

As for backgrounds to pixel on, I prefer magenta :)

Now that's just crazy talk :blind:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:06:53 pm by EvilEye »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 03:36:57 pm
It's interesting that you think you're doing something the medium doesn't let you do, or to be more precise, that you think this is something novel. Whenever you try to pixel something with more detail than the res allows, you're trying to trick your way through the medium. This is a very common thing, and common practices work well in getting through the problems that this concept presents. You're reinventing the wheel a little, but hey, that's a good way to learn! Just listen to what other people are telling you (instead of just replying to them) and be mindful of the attitude that you're doing something other people haven't had to deal with years before you decided to get brave and pixel instead of faking it with resized cgi... that's not a good way to learn.