AuthorTopic: Eye Chicken  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Eye Chicken

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 11:33:59 pm
...your intellect is directly disproportional to your intellect.
WUT?

Anyways, so what if SWOT has a certain style? Bengoshia DID take his time out to make an edit, one possible way in which the sprite could go. SWOT did not mention anything about trying to retain his style. What if he's trying to change his style? (Regardless of who likes it or not.)

And personally I'd love to see any member give up their style for further self-improvement.

Bengoshia may not explain much sometimes, but his works do often speak for themselves. I've found myself in plenty situations where I've learned much more by studying a picture than analyzing text critique. And if you think it's rude and insulting that he's taken his own time out to help someone, then I think there's something wrong with the way you think, to put it frankly.

Besides, although it may not be the best advice, I blatantly see Bengoshia advising SWOT to study up on form and use references, both of which do apply, and would help SWOT on his way to becoming a better pixel artist, regardless of 'style'.

One last thing, there's a wrong way and a right way to address some things, I don't think attacking other members is the right way.

Offline SWOT

• #1 Commander of Ickus
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:00:44 am
With much thanks to Dr D for all the assistance he has provided
Heres my new Edit

My AA skills are still bad so if someone could lead me to a tutorial or something that would be great.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 04:08:31 am
I would really leave AA out of the picture as long as you don't have basic shading figured out. The new version does seem to move in the right direction, but the lineart is holding you back. Try getting rid of the outlines almost completely. Look at Bengoshia's edit to see how this can be accomplished.

Guardian: was that attack really warranted? I just pointed out that making enemies and insulting people is not the way to go in this community. It will only result in you getting striked and or banned.

Offline SWOT

• #1 Commander of Ickus
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:25 am

I took of the out line on the legs and eye but I don't know the eye i think looks weird..
Edit: I made the farthest Leg a darker shade to tell the difference between the two.

Oh and Im gonna transition to gimp to try to use transparencies, but do not know how to right now...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:06:38 am by SWOT »

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 11:34:48 am
Hi SWOT,

I think it's usefull to focus on shading the eyeball in it's most simplest form first. Like this:

Just edit it in a seperate layer and work on the shading (like has been posted above) until you get that right. It will help when you don't need to focus on the iris and bloodvessels. After you're done with the shading of the sphere-shape, you can add details in a new layer and work your way from there.

Hope this helps; good luck!  :)

Offline MintPastille

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 11:46:48 am
Keep in mind that I'm just a beginner, so I can't guarantee that I'm correct. I think that there's something missing between the eye and the chicken legs, something to connect them. Often when you see pictures of detached eyeballs, there are plenty of threads coming out of them. I see that you have added those red lines to the eyeball, but perhaps they should cross the contour or "hug" the top-most parts of chicken legs.

Nice work, by the way :) I like the concept.

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 02:07:58 pm
You could divide the chicken legs better, it is quite hard to percieve there are two different objects, they seem connected. Also, i think using grey for living things is bad, so I would add a pit purple-ish shade on the darkest shade of the eye, and a bit yellow-ish shade on the lighter shade of the eye. That's up to you, tough. Nice idea, i like it ^-^

Offline SWOT

• #1 Commander of Ickus
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 05:52:43 pm

I Re shaded the eye, and I madew the farthest leg a pixel smaller and a bit lighter shade to tell the difference between them.
And changed the color of the veins.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:05:19 pm by SWOT »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:12 pm
Try to study the edits you got much more. Especially EkbatDeSebat's comment is a goldmine. A sphere needs regular shading or else it looks like a lumpy ball of clay or something.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:38 pm
Hello Pixelation  :B made a quick edit just for you (i suck at making edits but maybe this helps you even a bit  :))

Here's a quick list what your art needs...
1. Your image seems to lack contrast totally
2. Chicken leg anatomy is kinda off
3. Shadows aren't quite realistic
4. There are too much colours
------------------------------------------

And here's what i did...
1. I made maybe a bit better shadows
2. Added some contrast
3. Removed couple colours

And that's about it hope it helps