AuthorTopic: Eye Chicken  (Read 9865 times)

Offline SWOT

• #1 Commander of Ickus
    • View Profile

Eye Chicken

on: July 28, 2009, 02:55:34 am
Hey Everybody.
So I like doing odd sprites So I tried to make a Eye With Cooked chicken legs for legs. The thing is they don't look like chicken legs...
And I just started trying to learn Anti Aliasing.. So if anyone could help with the texture for chicken, or anything else you see wrong.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Eye Chicken

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:01:25 am

Edit, a tip for ya: Use reference and remember, you gotta try to give it form or else it won't look real.

Offline The Guardian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:20:04 pm
Despite your sprite being nice, Bengoshia, I know SWOT, and the sprite you've presented is not his style. I've read your posts and you seem to be pretty full of yourself and your abilties. Your sprites are nice, but other than that one way to sprite, you seem to lack the ability to take style into consideration. SWOT's sprites aren't perfect, but his sprites are always, as long as I've known him, being in an Earthbound style, and I think maybe you need to start judging his sprites in that sort of style rather than rezing it up so it looks okay to you.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:24:02 pm
Look, he took the time to edit it.
it's not about whether he think it looks good or not. It's about him, showing you how to improve it.
His critic is valid, whatever the "style".

Offline The Guardian

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32:36 pm
He "improved" it by adding mroe shades, other colors, and overall turning a sprite from what's supposed to be NES/Early SNES into something you'd see on the Game Boy Advance, DS, or Early Playstation.

SWOT's sprite had things that need to be done, sure, but a change to the overall style was not needed at all. Just some color tweaks, some work to the eye itself, and it would've been great.

Offline fucbillgates

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:25 pm
Well if were speaking on the behalf of other people then.......

The Guardian now decides that he/she likes the
edit that bengoshia did and appreciates the time he/she put into it.

And SWOT decides that he/she wants to become a mercenary
and abandon pixel-art.
or.....
NOT

Unless SWOT is oversensitive and died from shock after
viewing the edit bengoshia made I'm sure he/she is
able to say that the edit is not in the right style and
could even go as far as to ask if bengoshia  could do
a edit in the style that he/she is shooting for.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:50:55 pm
I think Bengoshia's edit is very useful. Who are you to attack another member of this forum in your first post?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:56:30 pm
Whatsoever Benshogia does, I don't think spending three edit: FIVE  :huh: posts with no crits, in response to a valid critique is worth it? I, for one, want to see less chitchat, more Pixelation! :) 

That said, SWOT, there is banding going on, on those legs. Banding muddies up the pixel art. :( It defeats the purpose! Why use pixel art if it isn't to have precision? The palette could use a little livening up, The AA on the eye is too heavy for its own good, and maybe darkening the back leg will help clear define the farther leg a bit. Attractive concept, by the way. : D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:58:45 pm by Atnas »

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:57:26 pm
Regardless of all that, there's still something to be learnt from Bengoshia's sprite. Before I read the description it looked like an eyeball on chicken legs to me. Nice of him to do any edit at all. If someone disapproves and thinks they can do better, a good sprite is better than any witty comeback. And tips on references are always handy for those of us who forget. :)

I'm not sure, though, but is there a spot of banding in ben's sprite when zoomed in?

Edit: Teehee. Not that I want to irk anyone, but the post below has funny maths.
your intellect is directly disproportional to your intellect
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:35:16 pm by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline The Guardian

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:04:33 pm
Gil, yes, I am new, but if you think my number of posts shows my intellect and experience in sprite animation, then I can assume that your intellect is directly disproportional to your intellect. I'm not one for assumptions, because then both aprties are asses. And if I don't assume, then you just go on looking like the ass by yourself.

And so what if I am defending SWOT? I like his style of sprites. His execution needs work, as does bengoshia's sprite (mostly cause it looks like it's sitting on the back leg).

Last I checked, though, blatantly editting someone's sprite rather than giving a tip first, especially if the edit to the sprite is not showcased with any explanation of what was done to make it better, seem's pretty rude and insulting.