AuthorTopic: Crazy Cat [WIP]  (Read 18547 times)

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Crazy Cat [WIP]

on: July 28, 2009, 12:16:16 am
I was inspired to make Crazy Cat when I looked at my dog.  :lol:

what 'Crazy Cat' looks like now:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:13:54 pm by CommanderD »
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Re: Simply Improving (WIPs)

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:10 am
yes it is :]

.jpeg isn't xD

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:22:27 am
it's not a JPEG. it's a bitmap. is that aloud?
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:20 am
It's not really a matter of what's allowed, it's what's practical. Many image hosts convert .bmp files to .jpg files which cause noisy corruptions to the image, called artifacts. Pixel art is preferrably not viewed as a jpg because artifacts basically undermine the end goal of pixel art. In some cases it's okay for viewing because the pixel art is lower detail and no important information is lost, but for most purposes, this included, it's good to not post as a jpg. Bmps are converted because they are large and unwieldy. You'd be best off saving your pixel art as a gif or png because they are lightweight and lossless.  :)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:07:01 am
Fair warning: Do NOT make a whole lot of threads with new stuff before you have actually finished one to a satisfactory result and actually used the critique.
This forum is not for spamming doodles and then not even listening to people.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:59:04 pm
Atnas: The problem with GIFs is they mess with your colors. And you can't make PNGs transparent.
I guess my best option would be to save it as a PNG, though. Transparentsy isn't a big deal, right?

ptoing: Atnas said he didn't think much more could come out of the last thread I posted. I agree with him. It wasn't exactly a 'satisfactory result', but it was done.

Update for Crazy Cat:

Did alot of stuff here...Removed the teeth outline, re-did the shading, re-did the eyes, removed the neck, shortined the tounge, and made a pointy tooth. Also, I took Atnas' advice of saving it as a PNG.

EDIT: named him Crazy Cat. ::)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:03:08 pm by CommanderD »

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:25:04 pm
Atnas: The problem with GIFs is they mess with your colors. And you can't make PNGs transparent.
I guess my best option would be to save it as a PNG, though. Transparentsy isn't a big deal, right?
Gifs only mess with your colors if you save something as a .gif in paint, you can use Giffy(can also make it trans) http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/giffy23.zip
Or just another program than Paint.
And you CAN make Png's transparent....

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:57:36 pm
I have Giffy, and it doesn't do anything to colors...And I know you CAN make PNGs transparent...

And, I don't mean to be rude, but if someone could give me some C&C that'd be nice.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 05:22:33 pm
I'm  not too good, but i thought i found some things u could improve. First, the cat doesn't seem to have ears. It has the pointy thing on its head though. put some pink in there to show that it's the cats ears. The red stuff in the cats eyes are kind of confusing. make them 1 pixel thick and i think that will help it. The teeth are really hard to read. At first i thought it was a collar of some sort. I would put some outlines on them. I think you should give the cats neck back because it looks like a floating head to me. Also,  some of the dark shades aren't dark enough and the light shades aren't bright enough. Make the darks darker and some of the brights brighter. When you shade dark, shift the hue just a little bit to a colder color like blue or purple. When you add highlights, shift the hue a little bit to a warm color like orange or yellow.

P.S. I would reccomend you use Graphics gale. It's really simple and easy to use.

And my terrible edit:

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:29:42 pm
you can't make PNGs transparent.
And I know you CAN make PNGs transparent...

Sorry, what?

Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to give you c&c, seeing as you tend to either ignore it, or worse, refute it, claiming you already know this. Yes, I CAN shade. Yes, I DO know how to do this. Yes, I DO know this. Yes, I CAN do this. Shortly after, you drop the thread, and start something else, occasionally not even showing anything before dropping it once again. Whatever critique is provided is ultimately wasted effort on the part of the people attempting to help. So yes, you /are/ being rather rude, and to people who are taking time out of their day in the hopeful assumption that you actually give a hoot.

As far as c&c goes:
Your lines and curves are messy, like you sketched them out without doing any cleanup. Your shading is all over the place, messy, lacking in contrast, and uses entirely too many colors for what you're achieving. I could go on, but it'll likely get ignored anyway.