AuthorTopic: Green man/goblin head  (Read 2995 times)

Offline MintPastille

• View Profile

Green man/goblin head

on: July 24, 2009, 01:31:12 pm

Criticism will be much appreciated, I need plenty of it :) This is one of very few pixel arty images I've ever made. Currently, I only plot pixels until it looks "sort of right," which I'm hoping is something which will disappear soon.

The hilarious thing about this image is that it was originally meant to be a telephone. Don't ask me how it ended up this way.

Offline Lendrick

• View Profile

Re: Green man/goblin head

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:50:27 pm
A couple of thoughts:

* The dithering looks odd on his face.  You may want to just add a midtone or two.
* Looks like your light source is from above.  His hair would cast a shadow on his face in that case.   Not necessarily a big one, but at least a few pixels. 
* The shading on the ears is also off.  If the ears curve inward, there should be more shadow near the top.

Free, legal art and audio for free/open source game projects.

Offline MintPastille

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:55:43 pm
Thanks for the input, much obliged! I tried to adjust it according to what you said, and I think that it's an improvement. I'm still not quite satisfied with the ears though.

Offline MintPastille

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:15 pm
I decided to redo this one completely, and add at least a slight hint of expression.

Comments? I think the highlights are hard to get right, but I still like this one much more than the old one.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:37:05 pm
Try not to include a neck unless you add shoulders too. All the neck muscles attach to the shoulders, so unless you do them too, the neck is hard to get right.

Offline MintPastille

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:36:30 pm
Hehe, first I added shoulders but then it struck me as odd that he was naked and wearing a helmet. So I attempted to create something armor-like, which was more difficult than I had thought.