AuthorTopic: Lard Brothers  (Read 2610 times)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Lard Brothers

on: July 24, 2009, 08:31:28 am
I did these up for a couple of friends who are putting out a new album soon. They wanted old-school pixel-art representations of themselves, specifically homages to the italian plumber and his brother. On a whim, I also did up a version based on a photoshoot they did for the album (hence the suits and ties).

These were done up ultimately to function at 4x (coverflow image for the mp3s), and print (cd cover).

The actual cover, which will double as the coverflow image:

You'll note that in a couple of spots I cheated a bit and made use of the extra resolution to do a bit of half-pixel stuff, but the vast majority is just straight-up 4x pixel work. I just realised I screwed up the roof area a tad when I extended the building horizontally, so I'll be fixing that up.

The art is done, for the most part, though if I have time, I might mockup a platformer for them (alternately a final fight-style brawler).

Any crits would be more than welcome. :)

[edit]
Oh yeah, the mostly-mirrored lighting was a factor of time (I didn't have time to redo one of the sprites to unmirror the lighting, so I ran with it).
[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:22:11 am by LoTekK »

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Re: Lard Brothers

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:52:39 pm

here's an edit on one of the sprites, hope you don't mind.  the biggest thing i saw was that they were really lacking in contrast and saturation.  very dull colors.  i like the designs and poses though.  i also edited some of the lighting because what you had originally was really flattening the head, almost like a button rather than a sphere.  this is just how i'd go about it.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Lard Brothers

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:43:18 am
Thanks for the comments, Gnarf; I have a bit of a tendency towards desaturated colors that I'm always working to overcome. That said, the skintones on your edit are a tad oversaturated, at least for a 4x-sized piece where optical mixing doesn't quite work as well as it does at smaller sizes. I'll see about meeting the saturation halfway, though. I'll also try and fix up the head shading; that was actually one of the things that was troubling me throughout most of the process (went through a number of completely different iterations initially).

I'll post an update when I get home from work, and I'll probably link up the album as well, when it's released (free download).