AuthorTopic: Hey bros! Help me relearn animation :D*teeny update*  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss
I took a very long hiatus from animation of any kind and now that I'm back and ready to animate again I find that my skills have decreased a huge amount.  Please help me get back on task!  And to help me I present to you an animation I just started working on.

and heres an update with my final key frame

The only way I can describe this animation is by calling it a bicycle kick.  Although I know that isn't what it is.  What I want to show is a character ascending into the air delivering many back and forth kicks for both legs.  Fortunately I can represent as many kicks as I want by looping.

Ok so here is a few things that I need for this animation.

*Dynamic silhouettes
*display as much power as possible
*look like the character is straining a bit to get the kick up
*look like the character needs to use force in order stop his leg from kicking himself in the head.
*Anticipation of the kick(I want to know exactly what is going to happen a frame before it does)
*look believable as in if you could jump that high and proceed to use that many kicks my animation will show that(I don't want it to look awkward or forced)
*Bad ass effects like you see in Street fighter and King of Fighters games.

Can you guys show me how to achieve this?

I know I'm asking a lot but I figure if I'm going to Relearn I might as well be taught by the best instead of fumbling in the dark trying to teach myself.  :y:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 02:54:54 am by Mike »

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Re: Hey bros! Help me relearn animation :D*teeny update*

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 04:40:40 am
I do not know, what a bicycle kick is, but he looks not so, as if he is using much power for his kick. It looks, as if it is very easy for him to kick like that, like he is acting on a planet with low gravity or, even better, in zero gravity.

If you want a more realistic look, i guess, you have to show, that it needs some strength and power to kick that way.

I'm a newbie animator, so i can't show you any pictures or animation, sorry :( .

Just my 2 cent.

Ingo

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:46 am
Yeah that's what I'm hoping people can help me with.  I basically forgot how to do all of the advance animation techniques like anticipation and force of stuff.  I'm hoping people here can show me edits of how to achieve these techniques and that way I can learn how to apply them to my other animations. 

I really hope this doesn't come off as me being lazy  :P  I'm throwing my ego aside and really tossing myself to the lions here hehe.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:08:54 am
If you want it to look powerful and difficult, I'd have him hang in the air for a frame or so between each kick, like he has to recover for a sec before kicking again. I dunno much about animation though, I could be off on that.  ::)
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:14:45 pm
This looks like a guy running uphill to me.

If you want it to be realistic you should study some martial arts reference.

Thats not how you do any kind of kick in martial arts. He is off balance and kicking with his heel. You kick with your heel with a side-kick, or a kick where you are not facing your target. With a front-kick ( closest to the kick you have there ) you kick with the ball of your foot and the motions are different.

If you aren't trying to be realistic then ignore the previous paragraph and add some more frames.