AuthorTopic: [WIP] Shiny robots  (Read 9302 times)

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

[WIP] Shiny robots

on: July 24, 2009, 06:09:18 pm
hi guys,

so I'm working on this little game idea that also features these retro style robots, walking across the surface of Mars.
The left batch is the default metal. And on the right I made the highlights slightly red, because of Mars' surface color.

I'm trying to get their smooth metal texture right, as I'll also be making some large spaceships in the same style.
And since they'll have much larger smooth metal surfaces, I'd like to get the grading really really goodlooking.

So... what do you think? C&C is more than welcome!

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Shiny robots

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 06:33:16 am
the coloring on the right is far better, in my opinion. as far as smoothness goes, I think the biggest problem I see is the outlines. you did a great job with the legs of some of them, they have a very shiny, smooth appearance. but then the outlines on the other parts just makes them stand out and look strange.

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:23:46 am
thanx miscdude! But... I like outlines...  :(

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:41:18 pm
I also like black outlines, but yea I think your problem here is you have a black outline on the body, but the legs and the top head part dont?
That's what looks strange.

I'd suggest maybe even trying something along these lines.

Anyways awesome stuff regardless it just needs some consistancy in the sprites.

edit: heh I just realized the light is coming in from the left... not the right. ^.^;
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:44:08 pm by Souly »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:02:44 pm
I also like black outlines, but yea I think your problem here is you have a black outline on the body, but the legs and the top head part dont?
That's what looks strange.
As a user of black outlines myself, I sometimes find myself in a predicament where there's a part of a thing that's so thin (let's say a tail or thin blade) that it's literally one pixel wide.

If I add a black outline, it'll thicken, and look goofy.  So my three solutions are:

1) Just make the whole thing black.  Pretty ugly
2) Leave it outlineless.  Inconsistent style and may blend into some backgrounds.
3) Ew, selout.

So yeah.  Those legs are really thin.  He probably left them outlineless to convey them that way.  Your edit is a pretty good solution by adding some consistency to the whole sprite.

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 05:43:47 pm
thanx guys!
yeah, I was actually playing around with some highlights on the outline. But Souly's graphics look a lot better than the ones I had :P
I'll post something soon!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:33:44 pm
I disagree with Souly. It's not really consistent with the already established lighting and it is by no means an outline, it's rim lighting.

COUNTEREDIT.

colored outlines, values have been pushed, and broke up the boring geometry. technically, I shouldn't have shrouded the right leg cus the lightsourse is not direct left, but more pulled towards the viewer on the z axis, but it helps the readability.

er, how does it move?

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:54:05 pm
I disagree with Souly. It's not really consistent with the already established lighting and it is by no means an outline, it's rim lighting.

colored outlines, values have been pushed, and broke up the boring geometry. technically, I shouldn't have shrouded the right leg cus the lightsourse is not direct left, but more pulled towards the viewer on the z axis, but it helps the readability.

er, how does it move?

Thanx for your input Atnas!
As for the moving/walking: I'm thinking crab-like. So just left<>right on those 2 spiny legs.

And about the outlines: This is for the same game idea as a previous post of mine (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8852.0) in which I also use 1 color for the outlines. So I'd like to keep it as consistent as possibe. But here with the shiny metal I'd like the metal texture to jump out a bit more, somehow, but still keep in line (no pun intended) with the established look.

So... erhm... guess I got some work to do  :hehe:

Offline Lendrick

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 06:59:15 pm
If you want to go for a shiny look, you may want to add an additional light source and tighten up your highlights a bit.  As it stands, your robots have kind of a dull metal look to them (which is cool, but you might want to consider this anyway).

Free, legal art and audio for free/open source game projects.

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:03:28 pm
Hmm... that's pretty neatlooking Lendrick! Much more in the direction I want to go.
Thanx!  ;D