AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Menu Design/Beat-Em-Up Mockup  (Read 12579 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Menu Design/Beat-Em-Up Mockup

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:50 pm
Hmm, I like this, so I thought I'd see if I could lend a hand. Here's a really fast edit for her. Changed the shirt from yellow pasties to a sort of shirt...thing. Lined the boobs up. Solidified and simplified the hair. Shortened the mech arm, added another one on the other side. Dinked around with the legs and waist a bit. Hope it helps!

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 03:53:49 pm
Will continue work on the draft. For now, update on the splash menu! Added scrolling clouds, buttons, blinking.

Preview of the final draft!

Edit: also the background graphics if that's your sort of thing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:40:28 pm by Endpiece »

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:06:55 am
This art, it is going places! ...like the Recycle Bin!

Thanks again to Pawige for the edit! No worries, that hairdo won't be in the final mockup.

Or will it?  :D

Further optimisation and (some helpful hints from Blumunkee) now leaves me with two background palettes! Granted the area around the trees still needs some sorting out, and I may end up sacrificing another palette to do so. That floor needs some serious decorating as well. We'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:40:52 pm by Endpiece »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 05:43:34 pm
POMPADOUR GIRL IS ONE OF MY SECRET FETISHES

MODERATOR ONE-LINING JUST TO APPROVE!

There's something sissy about her bikininess that gets completely reversed by a phallic pompadour. (into awesome, I might add)

Make it shoot bullets.
' _ '

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 03:50:58 pm
Make it shoot bullets.

YES

Also update

From left to right: Conata, Conrad, Colette, Medieval Zuko, Hazel, Wolfbatman, Ghost Strider, Ghost Rider (created as base for GStrider).

All the reference pictures were drawn by Pseudonym. In some cases (Strider, Wolfbat) I changed the look of the sprites, mostly to look less like a ripoff of one franchise (Ghost Rider and Batman respectively)... and I'm not all that convinced they came out well. Wolfbat was meant to look more like a cross between a Water Tribe warrior (shoulderplate, wolfhead, loincloth, etc) and the Batman, and instead he looks like... I dunno, some parallel universe Medieval guard?

I still love the Rider sprite despite its flaws.

C+C away, guys! I need it!

Edit: yeah, that old Wolfbatman sucked. So I redrew him again.

Double Edit: Ghost St/Rider uses two sprites - the flaming skull, and the main body and half of the scarf. I are a savvy spriter!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:45:55 pm by Endpiece »

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 04:28:49 pm

While I make no promises, I would like to think this whole mockup thing will turn out very special indeed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:46:07 pm by Endpiece »

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 08:01:44 pm
Alright, putting on my 'serious question' face. I have Medieval Zuko here, both in idle stance (without sword, which I'll get to soon) and 'post-slash' stance.

1) He looks kind of 'static' in the second pose (I know he does in the first one, but the second is the one I'm concerned with at the moment). What can I do to make him look more alive, in-motion as it were?

2) Colour scheme. Zuko's general palette in the Avatar cartoon comprises of red and brown with a hint of gold. The general palette of a knight varies but isn't generally saturated (colours range from greys to faint hues to midtones). The reference picture supplied for Zuko doesn't have a colour scheme. What sort of colours should I give to this sprite to both (a) make him 'pop out', (b) still show him as a knight in shining armour, and (c) not have him confused with Conrad (also a red palette) mid-fight?

EDIT:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:46:21 pm by Endpiece »

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 01:44:06 am
Thought I'd give my 2 cents.
Shorter blade and tryed to define the eye more.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 02:33:13 am

I think it needs a more dynamic line of action. Hopefully my image explains what I mean. Also I think if you add how the action is affecting things on his body it will add a good amount of action into the pose. For instance I raised his cape and messed his hair a bit. I gave him a bit more of a reach on his arms because generally when you slash a sword its not so close to your body and your guy kind of seem like was doing a stronger attack so I think it suits it better.

Hope this helps!

I'm really liking how these guys are looking, the mock up in front of the building looks awesome though I think the recent image the forsground gets mixed up with the background too much. The second palette looked a lot better to me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:37:58 am by Jakten »

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 03:17:27 am
Quote from: IvanX
Thought I'd give my 2 cents.
Shorter blade and tryed to define the eye more.

I should work on that eye thing. Thanks for the note on the blade!

I think it needs a more dynamic line of action. Hopefully my image explains what I mean.

I think I get it - the majority of the body in action conforms to the line of action, strengthening the pose. But shouldn't the line of action be running through the sword as well, or does said line only apply to people and not to the objects they're interacting with? I'm not sure, but I think as the hands are holding the sword (and the arms are bolstering the wrists), shouldn't they have more say in how the body is curved? Maybe he could be performing an upside-down U curve? I don't know, please elaborate for me on this!

Also I think if you add how the action is affecting things on his body it will add a good amount of action into the pose. For instance I raised his cape and messed his hair a bit. I gave him a bit more of a reach on his arms because generally when you slash a sword its not so close to your body and your guy kind of seem like was doing a stronger attack so I think it suits it better.

So there's a bunch of secondary reactions going on (hair, cape) owing to the monumentum of the sword being swung. That's actually pretty helpful. Thanks!

(Edit: does the cape in the first picture count as a secondary reaction, seeing as its billowing upwards, or not? Maybe not.)

I'm really liking how these guys are looking, the mock up in front of the building looks awesome though I think the recent image the forsground gets mixed up with the background too much. The second palette looked a lot better to me.

When you say the foreground, you mean the floor the guys are standing on, right? I really should fix that, even if it does mean another palette - it should look more like a proper footpath - with cracks in the floor, dirt and rocks, etc. With the trees and buildings it's a more streamlined background in terms of colours, which is nice - I'm not an expert on the 'guts' and mechanics of the Game Boy, but I'd assume a larger use of palettes at once wouldn't be all that beneficial.