AuthorTopic: [WIP | C+C ]Space Game Movie Title Port Super Happy Sunshine Bear Dog!  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)
Hello again, comrades!  I want to progress with this piece further, but want to refine what I'm doing currently before moving further into doing a background so as to avoid a bunch of re-working.  Here it is thus far:

Color count to this point is 15.  My personal goal is to keep it at 16 or below, as palettes are something I am still very inept at planning efficiently, so lat leaves me with one hue to work with and an entire background to develop (my other weakness - backgrounds have always been the part that kills the final product of my images when I decide to add them.)

Do I have enough of a palette diversity to support a good scene composition in space with my bright and dark hues? Are my ramps too similar?

So that is where I stand as of now!  I would love any opinions, critiques on any rendering or perspective issues etc, palette tweak suggestions, or even ideas anyone might have.  I would love to have a nice space scene to place this in so I will be doing some reference research later probably about how I'll go about that.  I'm thinking a distant planet or moon off in the distant reaches, maybe some meteors, stars spattered about, and considering whether anything will be chasing the character.

This is mostly a personal project with no intention other than broadening my understanding of the medium.  It is based on a haphazard home movie we shot of our 1 year-old daughter dressed up in goofy clothing and tin-foil covered baby toys traveling through space that I'm still editing in my free time to become a mock movie trailer for fun.  This will probably end up being the accompanying mock video game title screen screenshot this will be spoofed into.

That being in mind, there is no planned direction for this in terms of the story the rest of the pictures elements will tell so the possibilities are endless.  Any feedback is openly embraced.  I really respect the skill of this community.

I'm on my lunch break and don't have access to my pixel software of choice, so I'll post up a WIP animation of this later from home.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:39:23 pm by Argyle »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile
I have nothing pixel related for you atm, but rather something about the whole concept of the image.

It's in space, it has a spaceship and a funky dude. How do you make it exciting and fun? It's a fast ship? Making a 5G turn perhaps? The g-forces should have an effect on anything that can be affected by it. The ears on the hat for example, the shirt too. It would be so much more exciting if the ship was in the middle of a turn, the dude turning the wheel very decisively. It would also give the image some curve. Now all the action lines are very straight and very boring. Curves are exciting! Depict the power of the ship with some neat effect from the engine. Make it BLAST the spaceship forwards!
Tension, forces and VIOLENCE make an image fun, even if the tension is very subtle.
Don't forget to use contrast in concepts too. Make the bg calm to bring up the awesomeness of the spaceship, or vice versa.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)
Appreciate the insight, I'll expand on that!  Once the baby's bedtime comes up I plan on working on an update on this and I'll try and improve on that.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:25:12 am by Argyle »