AuthorTopic: Throw your exercises at a pixel apprentice!  (Read 2411 times)

Offline MintPastille

• View Profile

Throw your exercises at a pixel apprentice!

on: July 23, 2009, 02:29:45 pm
This must be my first post on the Pixelation forum, but I'm quite sure I've been here before. I'm a programmer since a couple of years back, suffering from the quite common flaw among us tech people: a three-legged donkey with lemon juice in his eyes could draw better than me. My various projects end up looking very dull because of this. I can probably draw a shaded cube decently, but my skills don't extend any further. I need exercises. Training. Practise makes perfect, right?

So, tell me something I should draw and I'll give it my best shot, and then you can all tell my how to improve. I'd also love to get some pointers on good articles/guides about pixel drawing.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Throw your exercises at a pixel apprentice!

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:56:53 pm
Hey MintPastille, welcome to the forum! This place has some great resources for aspiring pixel artists if you just look around.

First, there's a "Recorded Pixel Art Project" which can show you some of the methodologies various pixel artists use. Second, there's a robust selection of activities you may participate in here. Most of the activities are continuous, so you can enter them pretty much whenever. Also, the pixel art forum is for critique, so when you have something you're working on and you need some help, just make a topic there and we'll do our best to guide you in the right direction. We can't tell you exactly to do, but we can help you after you take the initiative. There's a nice pixel page written by Helm and put together by Colonel Mustard which explains general pixel art... stuff. Make sure you check out stickied topics, you'll find what you're looking for and much more!  :)