AuthorTopic: no lunch money!? [WIP]  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

no lunch money!? [WIP]

on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:48 am
hey guys and gals.  everytime i browse this forum i get inspired to pixel something.

and besides, punaji is closed.  bless her heart.  :[

anyway, onward

i started this an hour ago and i'm still going.  i thought i'd just post it up for suggestions

based off this sketch i did earlier in the day

i'd like to make my pixels look more like my sketches, but i'm always afraid of using too many colors.  i'm kinda pushin my own limits with the skin tones on this one.

C&C por favor

i'll post updates
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:36:10 am by Gnarf »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: no lunch money!? [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 10:28:23 am

Good to see you Gnarf, glad you're still doing art-related stuff. ::) I made a small edit, adding some contrast and AA helps this piece plenty.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:29 am
thanks!  how's this?

i also tried removing the lines too.

more c&c por favor.  i'm really not sure how to go about the shirt.  none of the shading i've tried is working.  the colors are looking really dull.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:38:18 am
kept going without the lines.  i think i'm done.  any suggestions?

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:47:14 am
What about the shoes? The spikes?
I'd AA some arm hair and tone down the dark shades on the sides of the torso and between the fingers. You could work a bit more on expressivity (eyebrows, shape of mouth) and there is some shading missing on the hands. I really like this, so please continue!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:22:38 am

alright, i took your suggestions chris :]  thanks.  sorry i took so long.  something about this still feels unpolished to me, but i'm not sure.

keep the crits coming por favor

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:11:12 am
I like it but the hair and the... erm, build seem to suggest the person is much older than they seem.
Intentional?

I'd say the legs could benefit from being a bit larger. (I understand its part of the style but it just looks totally off.)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:31:10 pm
Any chance you could aa the contours of the sprite with shades that aren't saturated mauve though? The values are correct in greyscale, but as they are very saturated, they punch through the layer, which is the opposite of what you want a buffer shade to do, right?

Also yes, come on, draw the shoes and other little details from the earlier stages. This is very pretty, deserves all you can give it.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:47:19 am
thanks for the comments fellas

i'll definitely try out some different leg sizes.  about the person, though, i just wanted him to be a bully who's a little more mature than the rest of his classmates...like he got held back or something.

also helm, i see what you mean.  while i was doing the aa, something kept telling me this looked wrong, but right at the same time.  my color choices were picked as i went through the piece from head to toe.  i've never really had a method for colors and if you check my recent threads, that always seems to be my problem.  i know my basic color theory but i can't apply it.  my eyes are usually drawn to chalky colors too, but i can't even pick out a good set of those.  it's something i really gotta practice, i suppose.

i remember tremulant telling me that shades go towards blue, and highlights towards yellow.  i try to apply that as much as i can.

thanks again for the c&c, i'll update as soon as i can