AuthorTopic: There's always room for improvement.  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Ryu Reiatsu

• View Profile

There's always room for improvement.

on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:22 am
Hey people.
I'm RyuReiatsu from the forums Sprites INC and Tuna Unleashed was the one who referred me over here.
I'm seeking to improve a whole bunch, so be as constructive as you can. Be as harsh as you want, as long as you've got anything constructive.
Anyways, I'm not exactly sure if that's considered an edit or a scratch... So here goes nothing:

Style: The World Ends With You
Method: Nor Tuna, nor I know if it's actually a scratch or an edit. Because what I've done was taking Neku's body, turning it into a base with distinct colors for different parts of the body.
(Meaning that there ain't no more shading). And turning that "Neku base" into another generic body. Finally, with that generic body, I've turned it into what is my actual character.

I'm willing to go beyond sprites. I'd like to be able to do high quality pixel arts and stuffs.
I'll thank you all for your guidance.

Offline BK!

• View Profile

Re: There's always room for improvement.

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:08:54 am
Is that pillow-shading on the pants  ??? If so, I am pretty sure that you should avoid doing that.   

Offline Ryu Reiatsu

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 04:15:34 am
No, it shouldn't be.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:17:59 am
I think you're trying to fit a lot of information where it isn't needed.  the really skinny parts of his body could use less AA on some parts, depending on your light source.  define a light source and build around that.  otherwise, some parts could be defined as pillow shading.  the pants don't look too bad, though.  if you could work the whole piece the way you did the shoes, it would really help and make the smaller parts more readable.  i'm really digging the way the shoes came out.

i'm not a fan of the 'anime' face, it just distracts from the rest of the piece, but the pose is working nicely.  keep at it

Offline Ryu Reiatsu

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:03:11 am
Thanks a bunch, but the game is actually in anime-style. Making the face obviously anime  :blind:.
I'll try working with a clear light source and tweak it a bit I guess. I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about when you say: AA, though.
In any case, I'll make the shading more like the shoes... I like how they were made also. And the pants are kinda made out of randomness, I'll fix them.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 08:56:44 am
Heh I just noticed now, I use a similar way of making characters... only thing is that I don't take bodies from anywhere, but start mine from scratch... well as some people said, avoiding pillow shading it's what you need to do for now. About the AA, he meant Anti aliasing... it is explained here:

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=228

...and here too:

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/aa.html

Also, Do read those tutorials completely... both sites... you need to know about all sorts of terminology and understand what you are doing when you make pixel art, what is what, how to do it, etc... also stop using bodies from other sprites... try to do the multicolor base from scratch, I am sure you can pull that off with some practice...  :y:

Well, keep on improving.  :y:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:04:40 am by Antifarea »