AuthorTopic: Earthbound Inspired  (Read 3212 times)

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Earthbound Inspired

on: July 22, 2009, 06:59:30 pm
Just a character for game I'm making on my down time.  It's heavily inspired by Earthbound. C&C welcomed.

And a screenshot to see how he exists in the game world.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:15:03 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: Earthbound Inspired

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:17:07 am
i absolutely adore the character. the background... not so much. for one thing its on a completely different zoom than the objects, secondly it looks like you originally made it at the proper zoom, then made the whole thing larger and smoothed out the bg.

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 05:08:55 am
Not sure what you mean.  It's a screen shot, so I believe it's actually 2x the size it should be (I think?).  The weird shadows and the blocky tiles on the dirt/grass are a result of the engine limitations (atm).  I had to go through hell to get the cliff edges to be as rounded as they currently are.  Still working away on it.

What about the colors?  Am I on the right track?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:28:04 pm
what i mean is, the bg has a different resolution as the sprite. im not very good at explaining this.

Offline sonic_reaper

• View Profile
    • Dorian Tokici

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:32:17 pm
It does.  That was intentional.  The sprite is actually loaded into the game at 2x the normal size.  I thought that the original looked too small on the screen, so when you're playing the game, the sprite is seen as 2x the pixel size, while the background is actually loaded as the normal size.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:45:26 pm
eek. Yes, you're right, the character does look better at 2x and is comfy within the given screen size. Beside the point one could make about mixed resolutions clashing, the tiles for your game world suffer from low-detail-at-high-res disease. I tend to think things look much better when the resolution matches the level of detail. I'm sure if you made your background half the size and resized it, things would look better. Less work, more appeal.